• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero D-1 mechanics jacket

MrProper

Shearling comparison
Aero Irvin Coastal Command russet, Aero B-6 redskin, Aero D-1 seal

IMG_6728.jpegIMG_6726.jpeg

Xopher

Do the zippers have the little horse shoe keepers at the top or the ones that look like fishing split shots?

Does Aero use Waldes zippers? They are about the best repro out there as far as I know. They are pricey but very good, I use them often on my projects.

I kinda want a D-1 with a grommet hookless zipper and hookless zipper pulls on the pockets but I don’t think Aero will do it because I’ve not yet seen an original D-1 with hookless grommet zips.

They seem to be very particular with what they will and will not make under the reasoning of historical accuracy, but they make redskin/russet D-1s and I’ve never seen an original D-1 in redskin/russet.

I’d imagine it would not be entirely impossible that an original D-1 was made with hookless grommet zip. I think the D-1 was designed in 1937, and grommet zips were the norm till about 1938-39 and before start of US involvement in WWII, and the traditional triple marked talon stopper box we see during WWII was brought about in 1938, model M-38 if I’m not mistaken.

So I would make the claim that the very first D-1s probably did indeed have grommet zips.

Are there any D-1 historians out there who could enlighten the early roots of the D-1 for me?

What is the earliest known example of a D-1?

Sorry for getting side tracked. My brain gets hooked on these wonders.

Beautiful fitting jacket by the way. It looks amazing!