• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Bomb Safety Pin Zipper Pulls

SteveN

How realistic were these? I seem to remember Paddy coming up with the design, but a bit of controversy over their 'authenticity'. I'm looking for hobby items to reproduce, and wonder if anyone has an original one that we can use to reproduce.

Comments on the Aero version?

Anyone with an original they'd be willing to part with (or at least a long term loan)?

Cheers,
- SteveN

A

Anonymous

Having had several originals and one Aero one, I have to say that the Aero ones (IMVHO) are rubbish. Too big by far. The originals are actually lightly enamelled tin and VERY flimsy. They make poor zipper pulls. By all means use the cotter pin and ring but the piece with the written warning on is not going to last long as a zipper pull. You'd be better off getting a jeweller to make you one from a cut down brass dog tag or dog tag from a petshop.
J_H

Peter Graham

Steve, I agree with everything Jacket Head says. Here is a pic of an original I have. I'm not prepared to part with it as it's got sentimental and historic value for me but if your interested in copying it I will give you the dimensions. On the old forum someone posted a pic of one in far better condition than mine. Perhaps they could post this again. If your interested, I got this bomb tag on the bottom of a lake where it had lain since the war, still attached to the bomb.
bombtag001.jpg

A

Anonymous

That's a great keepsake Pete, with a great story behind it. Always better than something that doesn't have a history. And it shows perfectly why they don't make great zipper pulls.
J_H

bombs away

Hi gents,

Here are pics of the original pin I have.
I agree that it's too small and fragile to be worn on the zip puller.
I hope it helps.

Tim.

520443783_b648331bc6_b.jpg

520402380_3fcf3cd927_b.jpg