• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aerial Star

Ian C

Hiya All,

I recently took up Aerial Star's paying in instalment offer and can say that I am more than happy with the result. I wanted a daily wearer that was comfortable, practical as well as having a bit of room without being too blousony.
Chris was more than helpful with advice on sizing etc. as I wanted a bit of extra length to it. I wanted a 46in chest and it fits as the ticket says. On arrival, they had nailed it spot on. It's probably the most comfortable A2 I've got at the moment. I can get a T-shirt and light jumper underneath it, which is exactly what I wanted. As for 100% authenticity to a WWII contract, I'm not that concerned as it was never what I was after-I've already got those jackets and this was just one to kick around in.
When I first tried it on, the (seal) leather felt quite sturdy, but in no way over stiff. It did squeak a bit, but this soon disappeared after it started breaking in a bit through daily wear and working it by hand while watching the TV. It's now getting a good bit of character and is looking better by the day. Ideally,I initially thought that the sleeves could have done with being an inch shorter, but decided to leave it until they started wrinkling up a bit. Now its done this, it's just about there. They still feel slightly long, but this is offset by the comfort given when driving as they don't have the feeling that they are halfway up your fore-arm.
One thing Chris informed me of was that as the cutter had made it for the longer length, they had to install a YKK zip instead of the regular fastener. Again, this isn't a concern for me, though if anyone can give me information on fitting a more period puller, I may give it a go in the future.

Overall, this is a great jacket for the money and anyone who buys one will feel that it's worth a good deal more than the ticket price. If the USAF was looking at issuing a new A2 to aircrews, then this should be the one they grant a contract for. It's a classic, yet modern take on the A2 and although I'm putting a down payment on a Goodwear or Diamond Clothing A2 as soon as funds allow, I'm going to get another one of these in russet while I wait.
I'll add some more photos as soon as I can get a minute. This is one taken when I recently wore it to Walcheren Island in Holland, where my Grandad fought seventy years to the day.

Ian

WalcherenWestkapelle.jpg

Ian C

I've finally got round to taking some pics of the Aerial Star, I'll take some more wearing it when the weather brightens up.

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9434.jpg

IMG_9436.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9433.jpg

IMG_9435.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks for the pictures Ian. It looks like a robust and well made jacket. Enjoy it when the weather gets warmer!

Ian C

It's a bargain for the money. I can fit a sweater underneath and it's one I can kick around in until the camper's finished and I can get another from Dave and/or a Goodwear.