• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed about mouton collar preservation and care

ciddu

Hello everybody!
I'm here looking for advice from the more experienced collectors about the navy jacket's mouton fur collars.
How do you care / preserve them? Is there any care treatment you know about?
I have a few G-1 (or M422a, AN-j-3a) jackets, and I never had any problem about the leather part of them - I use Pecard, and find it excellent for care and preservation of the leather.
The difficult part comes out when I get down to the mouton collar care: I saw there are a lot of jackets with significant fur loss, apparently due just to old age and dryness of the fur, and not to abuse and prolonged rubbing of the fur itself.
And recently found out that one of my jackets has lost a tiny spec of fur - like the surface of the leather with the fur on it just separated from the lower leather layer... it's just a couple of millimeters now, but I really would like to prevent it from getting any worse.
In the end I find that proper maintenance is a big part of preservation of old historic items, but I don't have a hint about fur care...
So I'm wondering if someone here has any knowledge about a treatment / care method or product to keep the mouton fur in good shape and prevent deterioration.
Thanks!!
Cheers

A

Anonymous

Believe it or not, I used pet shampoo on a dry mouton. Then a little regular shampoo to remove chemical smell. It seemed to remove years of dirt/oil and now feels soft and smells nice. I imagine if you use a mild shampoo with conditioner it cant hurt.
I used warm water and was sure to condition the back of the leather collar after it dried.

Good luck and please tell us how it worked for you.