• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAAAAAARRGGHHH!!!

MikeyB-17

I’m never watching Antiques Roadshow again. I have just watched a bloke in Ireland who bought an original, pre-Moon Omega Speedmaster at a car boot sale for a FIVER!!! And he didn’t even know what it was! A bit beat up I grant you, but even so! I have never, ever seen any even remotely decent watch at a car boot, much less a bloody Speedmaster!! AAAARGHHH!!!

B-Man2

Just pisses you off doesn’t it.
It’s like finding out your neighbor just found a Werber 1729 in a clothing dump at a Church drop off and he doesn’t have a clue what he found:mad:

kirova

there are always some crazy stories on Antique Roadshow.

one of the most memorable one for me - some old lady brought in a porcelain vase for valuation, something she picked up in some junk shop for next to nothing. turns out it was a genuine item from China which was several hundred years old.

Would've been worth hundreds of thousands of $$$$, only problem was, her hubby decided to drill some holes on the side to add some handles, after this little "surgery", it is again worth next to nothing............ I guess her hubby will never hear the end of it :)

Pilot

Interesting story.
Had a similar thing happening to me a while ago.
Bought a Luftwaffe pilot jacket from the wearers family...
When I picked it up , the grand daughter of the vet, said „we included all his documents and awards and certificates „. We give it to you, because you are the first one who did not try to negotiate a lower price... Thankyou!
The awards and the provenance are worth more than the flight jacket..
„Lower price and discount“ is not always the cheapest! :)

kirova

Pilot - as the saying goes "pics or it didn't happen!" ;) ;)

but damn, that must've been a major score! jacket + awards + docs, direct from the vet's family, things like this don't happen often much these days.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

"Antiques Roadshow"? Well we have some similar "shows" here in Germany - think most of the stuff as well as the stories is staged - or maybe i simply don't buy it as i kind of menthal "self defense" not to be too pissed coz i didn't find a gem but maybe an ignorant