• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 jacket fit - honest opinions requested

Marv

I have two A2 jackets both are the RW 27752 contract, one by Goodwear and one by Eastman.

The GW is a size 48 (roughly equates to a modern 46) and the ELC is a 46 reg off the rack.

The issue is with the fit of each jacket, I personally think that the GW is too big and the ELC slightly bigger that I would like so your honest opinions on size requested please.

I have attached both front and back photos of each jacket.

GW

ELC

PS - ignore the pants

Robman

Too big, I don't think so at all. They both to me look pretty good. Size them down and I don't think you'd be very comfortable.

unclegrumpy

I agree, both are good, but I think your tartan knickers make choosing which difficult. I'd like to see both with whatever pants and a belt you typically wear. The GW looks longer, and might be closer to your belt line...but I can't really tell.

Marv

Well, the PJs weren't a great hit then, I will take similar photos of both jackets with appropriate trousers......watch this space.

Marv

Photo re-shoot wearing the right trousers.......

GW

ELC

I personally think the GW back is really blousy where as the ELC is blousy but not as much also, with this being a RW it's roomy around the torso and I am thinking probably the Dubow contract would be a better fit for my body shape - I like the Dubow 20960 with it's collar stand, Crown zipper etc.

example
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow20960_No5_46/Dubow_20960.jpg

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow20960_No5_46/Dubow_20960_A2.jpg

Last edited:

Persimmon

I think the ELC is the better of the two.
The front of the ELC is more a closer to the waist war time fit that appears to me more but both look fine.
The ELC at the back view is the least worst option.
Both have to much bulk. The style of the A2 does give this general appearance but an inch or two less width would have made for a more pleasing appearance and probably that better fit you are seeking.
Of course we all have different opinions of fit and mine is as wacky as the next. Probably worse.
Still the fact you offer both pictures - twice ( thankfully for some with jeans rather than the tartan ! ) suggests you are not as comfortable as you would wish.
Walk close to the wall and all is well !
If I get to Duxford next month Paul which is the plan you can just wack me over the head but you did say be honest.

tibor

I'm with Alan ... The GW has too much width at the waist in the back panel for you. The ELC is a bit better in that regard. The front of both look good. Take a measurement and bring that GW in about 1.5-2 inches on a new order and sell this one to someone who may need the extra room.

Marv

thanks for the comments guys, I do prefer the GW hands down but as the jacket was ordered in 2012 and received in 2013 of the measurements supplied at the time unfortunately since then I have lost around 20lbs and gone down a clothes size hence my issue.

If I could in take in the back of the jacket in some way to reduce the bulk that would be ideal but I'm guessing that would be a big job and probably quite expensive.

I suppose I could give the GW a dose of HWT to see if that shrinks the jacket some what but I am pretty apprehensive on doing this on this A2, I've done it on other A2s that I have had all with successful results.

The jacket is a GW size 48" (46") and I think I would probably be better off with a GW size 46" (44") but if I did I wouldn't go with the RW this time and probably go with the Dubow 20960 contract.

With the GW having NOS Talon zipper, fantastic shinki leather, collar shape and pocket flap profiles I just can't bring myself to move it along but also can't wait the 2 years to place another order with GW for a new A2.

On a side not, the GW is heavier than the ELC in jacket weight but that's not a problem at all.

unclegrumpy

I agree the ELC looks the better of the two. I like the front length of the GW better, but notice the shoulders look too big across the top of epaulets by maybe at least an inch, which in turn pushes the arm holes out too far and gives you the extra bulk at the sides. This I think means that tailoring is not an option.

Silver Surfer

it always a bit of an issue for all of us, as to "how close to an original, and original fit?" is it, vs "does it fit-look right?". we generally end up somewhere in between. most guys determine fit with an a-2 right out of the box, that is, without wear and or break in time. given a year or so of real wear, your a-2 will change shape a little. the chest and under arms will loosen up a little, while the sleeves will shrink a little. all due to normal wear. original rough wear a-2s were all blousey, had shoulder over hang, with the later two contracts a little more so then the first, second, and third contract. also, the sleeves on original rw 27752 a-2s are wider then say those of the first and second rw contracts. this was the case with aero as well. wider bodies, and fuller sleeves on all of their a-2s from 1941 on. as to the fit of the a-2s in the pix, paul, both are good fits, and from what i can tell keepers. i rather like the fact that the jackets are a little different from one another.

Marv

Well I took the plunge and gave the Goodwear the HWT treatment to see if I could shrink the jacket down a little in size.

I think the results were slightly positive as the jacket feels a little smaller but not by much however, the grain on the leather has really come out making the jacket look even more authentic in my opinion.

Here are the before and after photos - not as good as I would like but I thought I'd post them anyway.

GW - Before HWT

GW - After HWT

And a nice blurry one thrown in for fun.....

Not sure whether I will try the HWT process again but if I do I will put the jacket in the dryer instead of letting it dry naturally.

Silver Surfer

jeeze paul, you sure ya want to go screwing around with a $1000+ jacket? what if ya shrink it too small or disproportionately? quit the obsessing and wear it for a while, like 5-6 months. a coupla things will happen during and at the end of that time frame. first is the jacket will conform to your shape, and second, your "fit" obsession will dissolve. i write this from experience, as in been there, done that.

Steve27752

I agree, just WEAR IT!..........I think that the fit of the GW is just about as good as it gets.
Remember, you would probably have worn a shirt and a A4 flight suit underneath it.
Are you going to bring both jackets to Flying Legends?

Last edited: