• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A1

A

Anonymous

e0196712_18364369.jpg

here's a good looking A1 I 'd like to reproduce
don't know if it's accurate, but I like it

Dr H

Yep - the Suit Up version has been a model for a couple of the A-1s that I've had and it looks great.

Dr H

It is a good buy if you're not a stickler for accuracy (wrong hide, big pockets) as the finish looks good.
Good luck with the sale wabbit ( :? )
Incidentally, is 'Wacky Wabbit' coded language for Dylan from The Magic Roundabout :?:

Falcon_52

The first jacket picture looks sort of like The Few's version with the outer sleeve seam rotated forward to line up with the top shoulder seam. The pockets do seem a little bit large though. On the Eastman: is it just me or do the shoulders on the older Eastman version look odd? Their newer version is cut much better.

Noel

Dr H

It's not just you Noel - you're right, I believe that the older ELC was drawn up from a restored (but incomplete) A-1. The current, trimmer version was based on the fab 38 that Gary has on the site and this allowed him to get the pattern down really well, making the torso/shoulders just right.

Jeff M

Anybody have a chance to get their hands on a current model ELC A1?
How is the capeskin re; thickness, hand ?
I understand it is difficult to get appropriate thickness capeskin this days...what is available being on the thin side.

Dr H

Dear Jeff
I've owned three examples of the current ELC A-1 in capeskin (and my 44, bought from John, CBI) is my regular daily wearer.
I don't have a micrometer here, but I estimate that the cape is around 1 mm (or just under) as the folded edge is around 2 mm. All of the seams are neatly folded on the ELC A-1 so it's not as easy to estimate as a raw seam.
The hide is thicker than the Italian cape that JC used recently (that was about 0.8 mm), but less thick than the older domestic capeskin, which was around 1.5 mm, although very soft and extremely close to the look, colour and feel of my capeskin AN-J-3 from 1943.
The ELC A-1 is a lovely jacket to wear - I only leave it behind when the thermometer climbs into the high 20s Celsius.
The hide has a great hand as well - take a look at Alan's (Persimmon) images to see just how well it folds and wears. Initially I was concerned that the hide looked a little bland, but it develops great grain and character really quickly with no effort.
You can't go wrong with this one - just be careful with sizing as its a slender, trim fitting jacket.
The tailoring is exceptionally good - the stitch count is higher than the A-2 and much closer to the folded edges with double lines of stitching.
Best
Ian