• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A1 and C3 vest

asiamiles

I have the exact same C-3 vest as you John - I also have the same A1! - but I've never found an opportunity to wear it, so even though I do like it I'd happily let it go if anyone was interested...it's a 38.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever consider wearing it over another jacket. I used to have an Eastman C-3 (which didn't have the pocket The Few one has) and would wear it over a sweater, the few times I wore it before selling it...as much because it was a size too big as anything. I think they're too thick to wear under another jacket, which I believe was the original concept; I don't think I've ever seen one being worn in old photos and films, so I guess they must've been produced in very small numbers and not been popular.

zhz44

I am after C3 vest for a long time, but never really find one I want. I really like the Toys Mccoy one, but the price is just too high.

The ELC C3 vest is made with quarter inch shearling, I think it is about the same thick as a thick wool sweater? Maybe it is possible to wear it under an A2 or B3?

asiamiles

I am after C3 vest for a long time, but never really find one I want. I really like the Toys Mccoy one, but the price is just too high.
I guess not a size 38?

The ELC C3 vest is made with quarter inch shearling, I think it is about the same thick as a thick wool sweater? Maybe it is possible to wear it under an A2 or B3?
I think A-2's are too fitted to wear a C-3 under it, while you'd definitely never want to wear one under a B-3! You could wear under something like a parka, but I don't think that was the original intention.

zhz44

I guess not a size 38?
I dont know TBH, I am wearing size 36 A2. Do I need to size up the C3 if I want to wear it over my A2?

I believe the intention of the C3 is to wear under the B3 for god knows why...is it really that cold back in those days?

daw

Isn't it something like -40C at 30,000 feet? They needed tremendous insulation. I guess that's why some of the Irvins were wired for heat. The C3 might have boosted the insulation just enough to mean the difference between relative comfort and discomfort.

asiamiles

I dont know TBH, I am wearing size 36 A2. Do I need to size up the C3 if I want to wear it over my A2?
Yeah, that's the other quandry, as you'd probably need a different size depending on how you're planning to utilise it. Here's my C-3...

c31_zpsxch5qg0b.jpg

zhz44

Yeah, that's the other quandry, as you'd probably need a different size depending on how you're planning to utilise it. Here's my C-3...

Yes, I think the best way to decide the size to try it on when I wear my A2.
And this is the C3 I am thinking about:
90442469.jpg

asiamiles

I'm not keen on the A-2 pockets on the C-3, but I like the shape...in fact I really like this Real McCoy's one!

rmc3s_zpsczdzzox5.jpg

Last edited: