• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very old - and early - IRVIN from ALC

flyboy

Here are some shots of my fathers ALC Irvin.
I bought it way back 1n 1977/78. After using it a couple of years - I passed it on to my father, who gave it plenty of use.
I know, that ALC repros are not counted as the best in the world - but I do believe, there is something about these early ones.
Judge for yourself...
DSCF0502.jpg

DSCF0494.jpg

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0495.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0504.jpg

I actually bought this one directly from Simon Green during a visit to UK.
Later I also became their "agent" in Denmark, and sold around 25 - 30 jackets in Denmark. But that is history now...

John Lever

Soren,
I have a similar jacket bought when I was a student in 1977. I still have the receipt for it, it cost £120, very expensive for the time. The leather coating was so stiff that I could hardly bend my arms. At the time I didn't realise that it had been made incorrectly and that no matter how much I wore it, it would never function for me. I eventually washed off most of the coating and washed it. It shrunk so my wife wears it now.
Maresi002.jpg

havocpaul

Back then I think they were pretty much the only available repros of the Irvin, I too had one and it was a good jacket for its time. Does anyone else remember the Irvin repros advertised and sold by Speedman Leathers in the Old Kent Rd? They had ads in the aviation mags and Exchange and Mart "WW2 sheepskin flying jackets, made in 20mm long sheepskin.." priced at £135.00 I went there and bought one off the shelf, wish I could get one now.

flyboy

You are right, that they were one of the only repros back then. I remember The Cockpit (USA) came up with a "Irvin" some time later.
I just realize that the collar strap and rings are opposite! :eek: