• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a question of phonetics

Tim P

Help a limey out...

tus kee gee or tuskajee? (as pronounce in a UK documentary on the TV at the moment)

pow keep sie or pukipsy? (as often mused over with an original a2 I owned.)

deckatur or de kaay tur (painted a2 390th BG museum framlingham)?

better duck

Probably 'tomato -'tomaito' kind of discussion', or 'potaito' - 'potato'
But I'm curious too, as there are many words in Enlish that you simply have to have heard spoken out loud before you can pronounce them right.
So American cousins, let's have it!

A

Anonymous

It not far from me and it is said pow-kip-see around here
I think this may be a play on words because it is spelt Decatur = Dee -kay -tur

RGds Jeff

jack aranda

I have always heard 'puh-KIP-see' , as well as 'deh-KAAY-tur', but, I'm not from either (eye-ther? ee-ther? :) place, so I may not be qualified to comment. One thing I do know, Tim, I will soon be corrected :lol:

hacker

Tim P said:
Help a limey out...

tus kee gee or tuskajee? (as pronounce in a UK documentary on the TV at the moment)

Per-kep-see

Da-kay-ter

A

Anonymous

Tim P said:
Help a limey out...

Does any one know where limey came from ,clue it goes back to sailors on sailing ships .

Rgds jeff

hacker

DUBOWA2 said:
Tim P said:
Help a limey out...

Does any one know where limey came from ,clue it goes back to sailors on sailing ships .

Rgds jeff

I vaguely recall something about sailors eating limes to prevent scurvy, hence the nickname...anyone else?

hacker

jack aranda said:
I have always heard 'puh-KIP-see' , as well as 'deh-KAAY-tur', but, I'm not from either (eye-ther? ee-ther? :) place, so I may not be qualified to comment. One thing I do know, Tim, I will soon be corrected :lol:
I like your 'spelling' better! ;) ........you seemed to capture it. Just a hard thing to write out.

BTW.......I always liked ee-ther better...but eye-ther way your correct :lol:

Hacker

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors. The term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy. The benefits of citrus juice were well known at the time thanks to the acute observations of surgeon James Lind who noticed that the cabbage-eating Dutch had fewer problems with scurvy. Limes were used over lemons because limes were more readily available from Britain's own Caribbean colonies. The term is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s
en.wiki

hacker

deeb7 said:
Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors. The term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy. The benefits of citrus juice were well known at the time thanks to the acute observations of surgeon James Lind who noticed that the cabbage-eating Dutch had fewer problems with scurvy. Limes were used over lemons because limes were more readily available from Britain's own Caribbean colonies. The term is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s
en.wiki

Thanks!

It does appear that the original recipe was vastly improved in later times to include mint leaves, rum, and simple syrup to make the mixture more palatable!.........hell....sounds like a good time to mix up a batch of Mojitos .....

Scurveyfighter ;)

Tim P

the lime was so unpalatable to the tar at the time that the only way to assure consumption was to effect the expedient of painting 'officers only' on the barrel then leaving it untended.

thanks for the clarification guys. I was fairly sure but wanted it clarified. I know the correct spelling for all the words too. ;)

wop54

Interesting how people from many countries are (were?) named after what they eat:
spaghetti: italians (and yes, i do eat spaghetti.. :cool: )
krauts: germans
limey: british
frog: french
any other nickname you are aware of?

Vcruiser

Atticus mentioned something about "damn Yankees" a time or two. I reckin he was refering to New Yorkers..or maybe Coloradians...not sure.....
VanBob

dujardin

it depends if it's an american from the north or from the south ????
also if it's an englishman from London or one of the highlands...
and now imagine if it's a frenchman or a belgian speaking.... or a spanish... or portuguesh'
and the one from Moscow....da

really complicated..... too complicated.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

A

Anonymous

Here is another saying from the same period as Limey .freeze the balls off a brass monkey?.Also to do with sailing ships .

Anyone know

Rgds Jeff

A

Anonymous

dujardin said:
it depends if it's an american from the north or from the south ????
also if it's an englishman from London or one of the highlands...
and now imagine if it's a frenchman or a belgian speaking.... or a spanish... or portuguesh'
and the one from Moscow....da

really complicated..... too complicated.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Dont ever call someone from the highlands English !. ;)

All the best jEFF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
DUBOWA2 said:
... freeze the balls off a brass monkey?.Also to do with sailing ships .

Anyone know.

freeze the balls off a brass monkey
Statement about the temperature being very cold.

Background:
A brass monkey is a naval term for the holder that holds the cannon balls. It was made of brass and the cannon balls were not, so when it got cold enough, the two metals would contract by different amounts and the cannon balls would no longer fit properly in the holder and thus fall off.

UrbanDictionary

asiamiles

Recently met someone from Poughkeepsie and, not suprisingly, discovered I'd been pronouncing the name wrong...though did I ever actually say it out aloud to anyone, or was it just how it sounded in my mind? I commented that it was sort-of "famous" as many leather flight jackets were made there, but despite the fact that he was wearing a dyed-black M-41 field jacket I don't think it meant much to him. I wonder if the vintage clothing stores there have had more than their fair share of A-2's over the years?