• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A nylon lover's dream come true . . .

watchmanjimg

I just acquired this little gem over the weekend, a '76 Greenbrier L-2B 7448J still sealed in its original packaging. How many of you have seen one of these before? More importantly, should I open it?

76GreenbrierL2B001.jpg
76GreenbrierL2B002.jpg

76GreenbrierL2B003.jpg
76GreenbrierL2B004.jpg

Tim P

wear ones you have already. preserve that. It has survived this long in that state. once it is out of the bag and worn that's it.
It is of course a jacket when all said and done and jackets are for wearing so how about this.. keep it as is until all your other jackets are plum wore out. ;)

rich

I think it'll lead you into a life of torment and indecision Jim - your only sensible course of action is to send it to me immediately,
I'm prepared to selflessly take it off your hands................

Seriously though, I would find that a very tough decision....... what a great find.

Atticus

My first real flight jacket was given to me in its original plastic bag. I tore into it like a feist dog tearing into a field rat. The jacket was a '72 Alpha MA-1. At at the time, it was only about four years old, so me opening the bag didn't cost history very much.

AF

Tim P

If it were the only one I had I would open it in a heartbeat but if I had good wearers my instinct is still to leave be.

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
. . . opening the bag didn't cost history very much.

This is precisely the issue I've been pondering. As a '76, this is a post-Vietnam jacket and in my opinion not as historically significant as the earlier versions. Out of the bag, it would never be more than a wearer. I might consider leaving a 'Nam-era jacket sealed indefinitely, but this one may have to come out at some point. I suppose I could always cut the bag very carefully and save it so the jacket could be displayed in its original state if desired. One advantage to wearing this one is that it is totally unused and therefore free of the stains, odors, et cetera that can plague even the nicest used examples.

On the other hand, I have so many L-2Bs that I'd never lose a wink of sleep if I don't wear this one.

ties70

I would rather open it, wear it and have fun with it :D ....

.....than leave it in the bag, store it somewhere and sell it for less than it cost you in a couple of years :(

Maybe your interest in flight jackets will die....or you'll find another "holy grail" to keep untouched... You never know, so have fun NOW!!

Ties

watchmanjimg

Interesting comments, Ties. I suppose my interest in flight jackets will die someday--when I do. :lol:

In the meantime, I find myself leaning towards opening the package.

Swing

watchmanjimg said:
On the other hand, I have so many L-2Bs that I'd never lose a wink of sleep if I don't wear this one.

I'd leave it in the bag since you've got others you can wear.

~Swing

Tim P

Seriously.. plenty of wearers. once you unpack it it will be worn a couple of times and then go on a hanger as you rotate through all your others just like we all do...

ausreenactor

Leave it!! They are not making many more in the original packaging!! Will appreciate exponentially compared to an out of bag item. Well done! Use the equity in the bagged jacket to buy another wearer!!

Couchy

watchmanjimg

Thanks for weighing in, Couchy! So far I still haven't made up my mind completely, but how much do you think a post-Vietnam jacket such as this one would be worth anyway? It wasn't terribly expensive to begin with, but I don't see myself paying much more than $50 for a '76 L-2B under any circumstances. As I see it this jacket is a conversation piece more than anything as long as I leave it sealed, but it would be a nice wearer because of its perfect condition. I'm not sure it has much value as a historical piece due to the postwar vintage and corresponding Serval zippers. Imagine finding something earlier like a '64 Skyline in the original wrapper. Now there's a collectible piece!

Peter Graham

Leave it in the bag as an investment. As you said, it's not worth much at the minute and you've got lots of other wearers. In ten years time who knows what it might be worth. I must admit though, I'd find it very tempting to take a peek.

watchmanjimg

I'm kicking myself a little because a few years ago I used to have a '76 Greenbrier that was actually the first original L-2B I found when I resumed collecting in earnest. I sold it to an aging USAF veteran I met at the local tailor shop, and cheaply at that. I felt sorry for him because I figured he'd have a harder time finding an original example than I would (imagine that). I wish I could remember how it fit because I'd hate to crack this one open only to find that it runs on the short side.

Tim P

I think you want to open it and, since its yours nothing is stopping you..

but something is :? or you'd have posted pics by now of you wearing it.
preserve it for the future.

watchmanjimg

Believe me Tim, your words have not fallen on deaf ears. I'm still deciding what to do, but I can definitely see the virtue of leaving it as is. I would have an easier time deciding if it were a Vietnam-dated example.

Members online

Latest posts