• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

m444uk

Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

dujardin said:
http://www.koutny-cz.eu/produkty/fallschirmjaegerstiefel/

great link, thankssssssssssssss

this guy make a splendid work, as it was made long time ago.
i think this is a high quality product

Those Gebirgsjäger boots are indistinguishable from the original mountain troop boots.

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
I like the sound of this guy;

""If you live on the east coast and decide to call me at 7 am your time please go back to school and study longitude before you order. I am a custom boot and shoe maker who makes these one at a time by hand. I am also the only one in the world who bothers to spend weeks researching these products, days making patterns for them, and thousands of dollars in trial and error samples. If you are in a hurry please see if you can convince the manager at your local walmart to stock this line of footwear.

I wonder if he would take on my 1936 pattern flying boot project.

The prices are not outrageous compared to some of the stuff around. Pity he doesn't do jump boots.

dujardin

Peter Graham said:
Andrew said:
I like the sound of this guy;

""If you live on the east coast and decide to call me at 7 am your time please go back to school and study longitude before you order. I am a custom boot and shoe maker who makes these one at a time by hand. I am also the only one in the world who bothers to spend weeks researching these products, days making patterns for them, and thousands of dollars in trial and error samples. If you are in a hurry please see if you can convince the manager at your local walmart to stock this line of footwear.

I wonder if he would take on my 1936 pattern flying boot project.

The prices are not outrageous compared to some of the stuff around. Pity he doesn't do jump boots.

i think i saw Corcoran in his listing :?:

jgaircraft

Gentlemen,

Forgive me for adding to this discussion as this is my first posting and I feel that maybe I haven’t yet earned the right to chime in on this without introducing myself earlier. Firstly I have to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge, especially Andrew, here and in the Lounge, without which I wouldn’t have been able to make the considered purchase of my ELC BoB or my ALC Irvin ‘style’ jacket.

I have to say having read this thread that I really do feel for Jon with the timing of this news and there is only one way in which this announcement can be viewed. The way that I look at this is that I don’t see either parties as necessarily being in direct competition.

I believe Jon can offer something the others can’t, which is a much more bespoke / tailored service and he can, as he has shown, inject his work with an uncynical spirit, love of the subject and enthusiasm. As nice as having all the correct zips and signed endorsements is, it doesn’t necessarily mean everything to everybody. Speaking as someone approaching middle age, how close to the look can I hope to get any way, I would need to loose 15-16 years to be completely accurate!

I am beginning to wonder if we may have lost something along the way in our obsession. Getting all the details exactly right, slavishly trying to reproduce the Holy Grail is important to part of the market I know. The reality as I see it, as was mentioned earlier, is that our boys whatever their nationality, would have taken what they were issued with and worn them with little consideration. Of greater priority was to get on with the job and not to let their brethren down, ceaselessly risking their lives, day and night in the threatening skies above.

When spending this sort of money on a jacket, to be able to chat to, build up a rapport and get to know the guy that is actually making your jacket, in my eyes adds greatly to its appeal and its value. When funds allow I know on which door I will be knocking.

Thanks again,

James Green.
jgaircraft.com

philip.ed

I'm not wishing to restart the debate that has gone on in this topic, but may I ask what has happened to this project? I have no current interest in buying an Irvin, but I'd love to see the final result, especially from an artistic point of view. Jon's work has been a joy to follow, and I'd love to see how this is looking at the moment.

Many thanks
Ben

ButteMT61

Nice site. Simple and informative. Well done. Thanks for posting it.

philip.ed

Awesome site, thanks for posting. I really hope Jon's jackets take off and get the recognition

I have just one niggle: didn't the leather-studded zip pullers only feature on post BoB jackets? Whereas BoB ones had the leather strips tied?

flyboy

philip.ed said:
Awesome site, thanks for posting. I really hope Jon's jackets take off and get the recognition

I have just one niggle: didn't the leather-studded zip pullers only feature on post BoB jackets? Whereas BoB ones had the leather strips tied?
That should be a piece of cake! ;)

CryptoDave

I just ordered one of Jon's Irvin's. I live in the states and actually called him. He was a delight to speak with. He was knowledgeable and informative, but most of all he helped me with my sizing concerns. He wasn't arrogant and didn't "lecture" me. If he ever makes any other type of jacket I will definitely purchase it from him.

I will post pics as soon as it arrives.

To me, IMHO it's the best available repro Irvin available today.

I have personally launched several successful businesses, and you do not announce product 1 year in advance of availability, unless your goal is to frustrate your potential market.

Whoever is running this so called "consortium" should consider replacing Andrew as their spokesperson with someone with more business experience.

ButteMT61

I can't wait to see the Irvin. Please do post pics when it arrives.

philip.ed

The politics aside, I'd still be interested in seeing the Irvin the AM Clothing team is working on, clearly a lot of effort has been put into it. I think it's a bad business strategy though when they don't respond to messages about their jacket, even if it is just to say that they won't be promoting the product on this forum.

John Lever

I very much doubt there will be any promotion on this forum.

Peter Graham

philip.ed said:
clearly a lot of effort has been put into it.
I've read over the entire thread to refresh my memory and all I see is a photo of a zipper and a lot of hush hush BS.

ButteMT61

Peter Graham said:
philip.ed said:
I've read over the entire thread to refresh my memory and all I see is a photo of a zipper and a lot of hush hush BS.

But it's a hella accurate zipper! :lol:

CryptoDave

Peter Graham said:
philip.ed said:

Agreed. Maybe that's because they don't have anything!

Vcruiser

Well...if you fail to honor the elite or dare criticize tactics..
'No soup for YOU' :!: :eek:

philip.ed

John Lever said:
I very much doubt there will be any promotion on this forum.

Where else then, John? I'm not an expert, but I think the best decision the company could make would be to rise above the catastrophic marketing manoeuvre here, and to recognise that whilst there may have been bad feelings, they have no reason to let these continue. Absolute silence can't be beneficial.