• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Keep Em Flying Find

Rocky

Found this neat WWII vintage Keep Em Flying statue and had to have it. I've never seen one like it before. Not sure if something like this would of been display in recruiting centers or how it would of been used.
It's fairly large so I wouldn't think that it would of been displayed in home.

If anyone has seen one of these before or known where it might of been used, let me know.

L1170598.jpg

ButteMT61

That's cool! I'd imagine it was in a storefront to sell war bonds. But what do I know...
It's sure a new piece to have.

TankBuster

Super Cool Item!!! I really like it! I haven't seen one either but imagine that it would be related to war bond sales as mentioned.

unclegrumpy

TankBuster said:
I haven't seen one either but imagine that it would be related to war bond sales as mentioned.
Interesting that it id's the B-25 as a "B" model. That detail could possibly mean that North American Aviation had it made as a promotional item, probably tied to war bond sales. The B-25 is also especially well done....much better than you see on most wartime patriotic chalkware items.

dujardin

too coolllllllllllllll

good catch

splendid, i love it

kind of piece i wish to have on display in my living room ;)

Lebensgefahr

I have one of these types of model and i was told that it came from a RAF recruiting office but it could just have easily been made by the manufacturer.
It is made to an extremely high standard with multiple coats of paint, revolving turret, moveable guns, retracting sprung loaded fairings, moveable air intake flap and moveable prop boss. It did have prop blades and some sort of stand but these were long gone before i got it.

Boulton Paul Defiant
DSC01277.jpg

LG ;)

Rocky

Thats a nice one. Great snag. War time desk models are hard to find. The ones that I have seen sell in the past usually bring a pretty penny.

dujardin

yes, it's kind of display that are much researched

last year i follow nice P-38 in brass, finish toooooo high for me

they are very beautiful

really like to get one

MikeyB-17

I love stuff like this, I'd really like one of the alloy aircraft model ashtrays. Nearest I've come is a nice wooden Armstrong Whitworth Whitley which I believe is of wartime origin.

Lebensgefahr

Nice models, i particularly like the P38, very nice.
I have about half a dozen brass and alloy models in all but i have to stop myself from buying any more as i don`t have anywhere to put them.

This one is one of my favourites.
DSC01281.jpg

LG :eek:

Rocky

Wow! Nice ones guys. Thanks for the photo's.

Jeff, you looking to sell the one with the three P39's? I have a place that would be great for displaying it. LOL!!

TankBuster

Very nice LG!

Not looking to sell Roger :lol:

Here's my last one....picked it up for a cheap Buy it Now on eBay a few months back.

b26.jpg

dujardin

splendid

thankssssssssssssssss

which word to place in the research on ebay ??? ashtray ??? P-38 ???

what will more than probably keep me away are the shipping cost and customers fees :(

unclegrumpy

These models fall generally into several categories....aircraft manufacture's sales or desk models like the B-26, trench or folk art like the Lancaster, or mass produced wartime patriotic items sold in stores or given away. Sometimes these categories can blur together, because the same companies that made models for the aircraft companies made versions for sale to the public as well. The P-51 ashtray model is an example of one you see both ways.

As far as the P-38 ashtray model, I have not had that one before, and am not sure if it is an aircraft manufacture's model or not. The P-38 is very well done, so I suspect it probably might be. Also, many of these models came both on stands or ashtrays, and in different sizes....sometimes as many as three or four different size variations of the same design. On top of that, there are reproductions and fantasy pieces out there, so there is sometimes a lot to consider.

I hope this helps in your searching!