• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A crime ?

A

Anonymous

Is it considered a 'crime' to change (replace) the lining on an original in case it is torn, so to make it more wearable?
Will the jacket lose any of its resale value if done?

Tim P

If the shell is serviceable then I see that a sympathetic reline/cuff/zip, as often done during the life of the jacket, is a better idea than either not wearing an otherwise serviceable garment for fear of further compromising it.

arclight

If you feel you must wear an original that currently has a torn lining & you want to replace the lining, I would assume it might hurt the value. If one is really concerned about the value of the jacket, preserve it in its current state and get something else as a daily wearer.

Tim P

I agree, the value will be compromised at the expense of more 'life' its a judgement call.

asiamiles

It's certainly not a "crime" and as for hurting its resale value that would depend on the buyer...if they were looking for a wearer it would save them the trouble and expense of having it relined, so if I was buying a jacket I would choose a relined one over one with a lining that was shot-to-hell.

Roughwear

asiamiles said:
It's certainly not a "crime" and as for hurting its resale value that would depend on the buyer...if they were looking for a wearer it would save them the trouble and expense of having it relined, so if I was buying a jacket I would choose a relined one over one with a lining that was shot-to-hell.

I agree 100% with this. :)

dmar836

For the right buyer one could do just about anything to it....... but the more you do, the more you narrow the field of right buyers.
Would you imagine there are more guys buying original A-2s for their collectability rather than strictly for their wearability?
As with most collectibles, it can be original only once.
Just a consideration.
Dave

TankBuster

I would fall into your both category Andrew ;) Most guys I know don't or won't wear originals at all and instead collect them for their history and/or artwork. I used to be one of them as well, but have found some pleasure in wearing a original every now and then. (Sparingly)
That being said, I think besides the many wearers (including myself) on this very small forum, we are the minority vs strictly collectors. I know of thousands of collectors that just buy for the historical aspect.

As to the question, is it a crime...Not technically ;) . Would it hurt the value of the jacket.......Absolutely.

dmar836

I'm not dogging on those who chose to wear the originals as I know you all take great care of them. I would hesitate to change one to make it a wearer though for the reasons stated.
The nice thing about collecting them is size is much less of an issue.
Dave