• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bit of 'Armless Fun...

pipvh

I came across this yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3468wt_907

It's a wartime M-445A converted into a vest/waistcoat, obviously some time ago.

I have to confess I love these armless jackets. I have one of those post-war Irvins with the vinyl tape, no arms, and it's one of the most useful things in my wardrobe. Does anyone else share this enthusiasm or is it all just outright desecration?

Any more 'armless jackets out there? Pics?

Tim P

Afraid not, each to their own but not for me..sorry. I can see the advantage of freedom of movement but the look doesnt suit me..

Roughwear

It is a shame that this has happened to this M-445A, from a premier maker. Perhaps the sleeves had rotted and were beyond repair. The zip is replacement. The price seems high to me and it will be interesting to see if it sells.

Interesting. I confess that since I was a lad and saw the movie 'Force 10 From Navarone' with Robert Shaw in his natty leather jerkin, I've always thought they were cool.

Never got around to sourcing one, and like Andrew said it is a shame this particular jacket was "jerkined" but whose to say what the sleeves were like.

zoomer

Not long ago I removed the sleeves from a Good Wear test jacket.
You know the ones that always were too narrow across the back? Problem solved!
Of course now I look like a refugee from the 1970s New York art scene. Serves me right, I suppose.

pipvh

t is a shame that this has happened to this M-445A, from a premier maker. Perhaps the sleeves had rotted and were beyond repair.

It's not impossible that a returning vet thought his jacket would be more useful for splitting firewood, riding Flathead bobber, etc, without the sleeves. I wonder if there are any pics of field-modified jackets in the war? You used to see quite a few sleeveless, genuine Irvins around here (Devon) in the old days, worn by farmers and the like...

Force 10 From Navarone' with Robert Shaw in his natty leather jerkin,

I had one of those old British Army jerkins and though warm and built like a tank it wasn't great for everyday use - the collar was too high and always got me under the chin, for instance. They really need to be worn over something solid like battledress.

I'm thinking of asking ELC if they'd build me a sleeveless jacket (I'm thinking Irvin or Redskin B-6), but I might be canvassing the forum a bit later on to see if anybody has something with sleeves that are beyond repair. My faux-Irvin makes a really good jerkin (I bought it sans sleeves) but the vinyl tape is ridiculously stiff - especially in cold weather. Why go to all the bother of making a rather nice sheepskin jacket and then ruin it with vinyl tape and collar backing? Strange.