• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.A.F jackets Spec tag source

WBOONE

When a war time contractor was awarded a contract for various A2 & B3 coats: H.L.B., Werber, Aero, Roughwear, etc..., was it incumbent upon the contractor to design and produce in house the spec tags that we see on the originals for their run of each specific contract,then submit it to the AAF for final approval? Or did the A.A.F have a certain vendor that it contracted to have the tags made to their specs and then shipped to each jacket contractor to be sewn onto each jacket?

Silver Surfer

good question. i suspect that the makers- vendors were given parameters for size,info, contract #s, etc that should be on the label, and the makers would submit a drawing of some sort to the folks that made the tags. they were sourced out to companies that were set up to make garment labels. there is a chapter on a-2 labels in gary eastmans a-2 book.

STEVE S.

different manufacturers had different fonts on their labels, so would assume each was responsible for having their own labels made. H.L.B. had a much "fancier" font than most.

WBOONE

I know that the original makers sourced all the components of the jackets rather than actually make them themselves ( or as far as i know ). The actual leather, zippers,knits,snap closures, etc..that went into the jackets and coats were shipped in from various vendors, or goverment suppiled to be cut, sown, and assembled into the jackets, then shipped out to the AAF for field distribution. It also seems reasonable that the spec labels themselves might have been outsourced to insure a standard design.