• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Zipper Lengths

Just got an Aero Anniversary seal HH in a 46 with green stitching...amazing jacket. Zipper is 22.5", a little shorter than I'm used to but it's growing on me. I do have belt buckle coverage which is critical to me...but not my much. What are your thoughts on front length fit? Is there a standard zipper length/range for all contracts or is it all over the place? Would love any thoughts you can offer.

atkins

Myself like the longer oversize style on A-2 jacket, like this jackets Zoomer posted in FL ( thank you Zoomer):

2207139699_66e1277699_o.jpg

TankBuster

Original jackets zipper lengths were all over the place. The repro maker Aero is notorious for making their jackets on the short side. I wear a 42/44 and must have a 23" zip length to even consider buying a original or a repro.

derleicaman

There's a big debate going on over on TFL about misbehaving collars on Aero jackets. They could have a field day with this picture!

I also noted the folded up waist bands as well. Didn't the A-2 come out under Hap Arnold's directive? Could this be the way he thought they should be worn? Monkey see, monkey do as everyone seems to be following his lead! Glad this "look" didn't last.

My amended question would be...if I bought a "standard" A-2 contract from Aero, Eastman, Real McCoys and Good Wear (and any others you might mention) then what zipper size would come with each? The Aero presumably a 22.5"...would any of the others come with a 22.5" or would all of them be longer?

Roughwear

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "standard" A2. Do you mean a regular one? The larger size jackets generally had longer zips! A size 44 original would have a zip between 23" and 24" depending on the contract. There is similar variation with the modern repro makers. I would email them and ask them the length of the zip for your size of A2.

Andrew:
That's really good information...what I meant by "standard" was a jacket not made to be a "Long" or a "Short", which would have longer/shorter body and sleeves respectively. This stems from me being puzzled with the 22.5" zip on the 46 Regular Aero i just got. While I love the jacket I can't help but to wish it were slightly longer.

herk115

atkins said:
Myself like the longer oversize style on A-2 jacket, like this jackets Zoomer posted in FL ( thank you Zoomer):
Did he post other pics on FL, and do you know where they are? I can't find them.