• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 patch on GW

a2jacketpatches

I had the unit history for this Squadron a few years back. Picked it up for 20- and sold it for 460- on the nose. Anyway, can do, I'm sure Roberto did this one as it's and incised Italian style. A very detailed patch at about 150- from me but I' pretty booked for the next couple of months.

Never really thought of jackets having a resale value but I guess that's what the repro market has come to. Most of my customers put patches with some personal meaning behind them and rarely resell from what I gather. This unit may not be a bad choice though, Yes, a very stunning design and popular Squadron. They had a few different patches to include a fifty mission where the panther is lying on his side with a bottle of whisky, Xed eye balls as if drunk, all tattered with bandages and a kinked tail. I copied it from the Unit History and will post if I can find it. There also a square version of the unit insignia.

CBI

there are a number of folks here who could do this one. I know I could ;) but just no time anymore. Incised leather is not too difficult.

a2jacketpatches

Here's the 50 mission patch I was talking about. I've got the original image / drawing from the Unit History somewhere but it would take half a day to find it. This original patch is available from Vintage Productions in Huntington Beach, CA. for 650-

And yes, not very difficult but one mistake cut and there's no fixing it or painting over. Trick is to use a dulled exacto blade that doesn't cut all the way through the leather. I'd use veg tanned due to the stiffness of it and it would be less problematic. But have seen these italian patches done in a very soft chamois like leather that will stretch and move as you cut it. Also, the veg tanned can be flexed and crinkled until fairly soft and pliable after the cutting is done. You can wet it and staple the perimeter to a board then lie in the sun, it will shrink slightly and the incisions will separate a bit leaving a nice gap. Painting is a breeze after that. If you want to give it a try Vince I'll send you enough of the leather for experimenting and the patch on the house and you just zap me the shipping cost.

a2jacketpatches

Lots of variety out there on these patches including the 50 mission "ALL DONE" Not sure which ones to believe in as most seem to have nice cracking to the paint but any one of them could be easily faked.

ties70

Some incised patches, done over the last years...

map_b25_III_zps26266f84.jpg

dubow_nfs_darker_2.jpg

12th_full-1.jpg

cougar_full-1.jpg

flag_cuts.jpg

15thAFSet.jpg

Incised_aged.jpg

Incised_1.jpg

Best regards,

Ties

CBI

Sean - get the leather wet first, let it dry maybe half way, draw your outline, then do the cutting with exacto. when it dries, the lines will have opened up a little:

probably not the best examples:

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, done that. But Ties seems to get the real deal look. I've got several ways of achieving it but maybe ther' s an easier way

ties70

Guys,

there seem to be a few things I make different than you:

1. I use a so called swivel knife from my local leather crafts store. You can get them on the internet: http://lederhammer.de/Swivel-Knife-mit- ... er-13-mm-L . It is as sharp as a scalpel or as an Xacto blade but more shaped like an axe head. This will give you the desired wider cut edges.

2. Use natural leather.

3. Draw the outline first, then wet the leather.

4. Well, do not really wet the leather but use a damp cloth and lightly touch it on the line you want to cut. Cut as long as the leather is moist and darker than on the dry parts.

Best regards,

Ties

ties70

a2jacketpatches said:
Ah ha, I had one of those but never used it so it got rusty and I tossed it. Maybe time to get a new one.

Very handy tool!

Of course you should get a new one....or direct customers across the ocean ;)

Ties

a2jacketpatches

Will do, got my hand full now with the multi-piece and only do an incised once in a while if part of a big order. Your work is top notch and the bags are a great idea.