A-2’s with red silk lining

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by stanier, Jan 7, 2018.

1. ButteMT61

ButteMT61 Well-Known Member

I'm sure @Ken at Aero Leather could chime in. I'll look for the thread later, but I know he mentioned the length of the threads or something thread-techie and it sounded like it made sense that the two were hard for at least amateurs to tell apart...

2. ButteMT61

ButteMT61 Well-Known Member

unclegrumpy likes this.
  3. unclegrumpy

unclegrumpy Well-Known Member

Thanks for digging that link up!

I think we are both saying the same thing. One aspect to both the few original, and the reproduction jackets that Ken was discussing, is they were purposely making the silk and cotton material to appear the same. Jackets were originally made to certain specifications, and as we all well know, there were differences, but there also was a very clear attempt at uniformity. Some of the reproductions discussed were also made at a time when silk might have been a selling point, but the point still is, they were trying to make the material look the same (uniform)...hence the difficulty seeing the differences.

One thing that gets confusing with these discussions is mixing what happened long ago versus the choices we have today. Sometimes what they used, is what they had, and there were shortages during the war that required substitutions. The main reason for the red linings in service dress uniforms is the British tailors had red material that they could not sell to British officers, because they were not wearing their red dress uniforms for the duration. I think some of the material we see in these cut down and tailored uniforms actually dates back towards the First World War, and might have been obsolete stock that had not been selling even before the suspension of the red uniforms in the Second World War. That said, there is some consistency to what you see in these old originals, but it is not like it is all from one bolt of red material....and sometimes there is a subtile grain or weave that would not be there if there were more choices.

We are really talking about, and at times mixing together, two things...the repairs, alterations, and/or making new uniforms out of the non standard and limited supplies they had on hand during the darkest days of the war in England....and choices in making modern reproductions or looking back at production in America before her wartime shortages began.

4. dujardin

dujardin Well-Known Member

good post

interesting about the ''history'' of this red lining

cool jacket