• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a-1s, and other pre war jackets

Silver Surfer

has anyone else noticed that very often a-2s, and other pre war jackets exhibit sleeve tunneling? my older gw a-2 has longer than average sleeves, and I have often thought of having them shortened, but having looked at umpteen photos of guys wearing a-1s, it seems that is how they were often made and worn. also, when driving , the sleeves do not ride up to the mid forearm as so many a-2s do.

B-Man2

Vic
I think you have your answer in your post .
My guess is that the sleeves were made longer in those earlier jackets because unlike WWII pilots , they were in open cockpits and if their sleeves rode up on them cold air would more easily go up the sleeves . Longer sleeves prevented that to a lesser degree. As I said nothing to confirm this thought but it seems plausible.

Chandler

Researching photos* for my new GW (a pre-war contract) I've seen sleeve lengths vary all over the board. Yet another idiosyncracy of the A-2 and its manufacturing (and probably diverse body shapes).

In some of the recent A-1 and pre-war navy jacket posts you can also see a lot of extra-long cuff knits. Very odd looking.

*I'll see if I can get permission to share a few.

dinomartino1

a1-jacket-carl-spaatz-airforce.jpg

None of these sleeves are riding up with arms at various positions, the knits all seem to be staying over the wrist bone.

Silver Surfer

typo in my post. it was supposed to be the long sleeves and tunneling in a-1s and other pre war jackets, not a-2s. my computer has a mind of its own.

asiamiles

In some of the recent A-1 and pre-war navy jacket posts you can also see a lot of extra-long cuff knits. Very odd looking.

Weren't some jacket cuffs made extra long so they could be folded back? I'm not sure if they were intended to be folded back or if the long cuffs simply offered the wearer the option of folding them back.

Chandler

Weren't some jacket cuffs made extra long so they could be folded back? I'm not sure if they were intended to be folded back or if the long cuffs simply offered the wearer the option of folding them back.
Don't know. But it doesn't sound very military.

asiamiles

Don't know. But it doesn't sound very military.
If it was a style commonly found on commercial jackets of the time it's something the makers could easily have carried over to their issued jackets; I don't know if it was ever specified by the military that cuffs had to be a certain length?

B-Man2

The longer cuffs fit nicely into the gauntlet type gloves that were used by flyers in the early days of flying . The gauntlets would fit farther up the arm over the jacket and keep wind from getting in.