• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-11 Watches

stanier

I'm interested in sourcing and potentially purchasing a minty A-11 watch.

I've had a quick trawl on the web and this forum, and whilst I continue my search, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm only interested in mint and preferably with the ivory face and dated 1942 or earlier.

Apologies, other than their USAAF use and some occasional posts on this forum, I know very little and am not pretending otherwise, about the A-11 so any info is much appreciated.

Cheers all

TankBuster

I've seen quite a few nice ones on eBay lately. My best advice is to find one you are interested in and post the link to the auction here so some of us can make sure it is right. There are quite a few refurbished watches on eBay that have the wrong hands, face, ect. If you don't want to post it here, you can pm myself or ClarkJ and we can help you. ClarkJ has alot of knowledge on A-11's. I'm sure there are other guys that can help as well.

Good luck with the hunt. If I can give you any advise, it would be to hold out for a early example of the Bulova. Many were made with sterling silver cases. They also have a sharp look to them.

Happy Hooligan

don't discount non-mint watches...

This is my 1943 silver Bulova post restoration.
DSC01796.JPG

and this is it as I bought it.
DSC00547.JPG

both with the original band, I had a new NOS face for it, and second hand and crystal. Everything else is stock. Well worth it in the end, and cheaper than finding an all original in mint shape....

stanier

TankBuster said:
I've seen quite a few nice ones on eBay lately. My best advice is to find one you are interested in and post the link to the auction here so some of us can make sure it is right. There are quite a few refurbished watches on eBay that have the wrong hands, face, ect. If you don't want to post it here, you can pm myself or ClarkJ and we can help you. ClarkJ has alot of knowledge on A-11's. I'm sure there are other guys that can help as well.

Good luck with the hunt. If I can give you any advise, it would be to hold out for a early example of the Bulova. Many were made with sterling silver cases. They also have a sharp look to them.

Thanks TankBuster, I'll keep looking and would certainly appreciate any help. I really like the sound of an early Bulova with sterling case; would they have had the ivory face too? (Sorry if a daft question). Could you point me at a pic by any chance?

Also, do you know would the watches have always been worn with the woven fabric strap or was it common to replace with a leather strap?

Cheers

Chris

Persimmon

stanier said:
To help my learning, what's the view on this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELGIN-USA-ARM ... 564cac8cba

Whilst nice it doesn't seem mint and seem pricey. I don't mind paying for top quality; could I expect to do better forn the money?

BTW, when looking at A-11's what does "hack" mean? :? :oops:

Cheers

The hack for the A-11 comes from the fact that when the winding stem is pulled out, the sweep second hand stops moving. It will start moving again when the stem is pushed back in against the case.
That way they could set all the watches to the same time for a start of a mission etc

dmar836

stanier,
You will get better advice than mine here but that watch appears to be a mongrel and not an A-11. It has the "officer's watch" face and presumably works in an A-11 case. It is also overpriced for that.
I have a few parts watches and some "kestone cases" like that - they are aftermarket. It is fairly difficult to find a mint case as they were made cheaply. Any case that is period and is not "base metal" brings quite a price and is usually found on a high end maker watch. If that is a period case, the works are not A-11.
The A-11 did not have the little sweep hand below and typically had the 539 works.
Also, an A-11 with a white face is rare and , if legit, will be quite a bit more than that IMO. Deebs(RIP) had a nice early one worth a bit.
Because guys like me know just enough to mix and match parts it is easy to be taken in this hobby.
I would look for a nice original and have it refurbished. It will then likely need a cleaning every 5-10 years. Study all over the web first and be an informed buyer. There are many not-so-good watches with the wrong parts installed.
JMO,
Dave