• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 type jacket is it the real thing?

oose

Thought this one was worthy of debate...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Possible-A-1-flig ... 3:6|294:50

BWFJ0TgBWkKGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKVsoQ.jpg

BWFJ1WQBWkKGrHgoH-DcEkJw2KwwWBKVsmj.jpg

BWFJ2d2kKGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BKVs6BMT.jpg

BWFJ2-B2kKGrHgoH-CgEjlLl5ZdBKVs-eB_.jpg

kind a looks like this one...

IMG_3815.jpg

yours stu

A

Anonymous

I disaggree with the value when there are so few around or exhibited condition takes the back burner ,having a complete collection means owing such a jacket .I like to call the serious collectors hard collectors and with all types of collecting dinky, lionel classic cars etc etc you will see the ultra rare pieces in the worst condition and still command serious money .I think it is the real deal and will fetch more than you will think my guess is $1500.

All the best Jeff

greyhound52

DUBOWA2 said:
I disaggree with the value when there are so few around or exhibited condition takes the back burner ,having a complete collection means owing such a jacket .I like to call the serious collectors hard collectors and with all types of collecting dinky, lionel classic cars etc etc you will see the ultra rare pieces in the worst condition and still command serious money .I think it is the real deal and will fetch more than you will think my guess is $1500.

All the best Jeff

I agree if it is the real deal and it appears to be so such a rare item might go high.

Roughwear

I think its an authentic A-1. As far as price $1500 is seems possible as they are are as rare as hens teeth!

John Lever

Surely it can't be an A-1 in the strictness sense as it has snaps not buttons. There were many jackets like this made in the 30's and 40's.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Surely it can't be an A-1 in the strictness sense as it has snaps not buttons. There were many jackets like this made in the 30's and 40's.

John, It's most likely a private purchase A-1 rather than an Air Corps issued jacket.

Grant

It's obviously not an A-1 as John pointed out. Could be a later work jacket with the snap buttons, elongated pocket design and the added inside pockets.

Roughwear

Grant said:
It's obviously not an A-1 as John pointed out. Could be a later work jacket with the snap buttons, elongated pocket design and the added inside pockets.

Cetainly not an issued A-1, but far more A-1 style than A2. ;) I wonder what date it actually is? When were ring snaps first used?

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:

John, It's most likely a private purchase A-1 rather than an Air Corps issued jacket.
It's either an A-1 or not. A-1's have buttons. Jackets of this general design were popular during that period. It could be pre A-1.
I agree it's like an A-1 though.
Just wonder when snaps first appeared ?
£500 my guess.

Grant

It's not an A-1, period. Anyone that knows anything about vintage clothing knows that style jacket was popular in the 20's and 30's.

Roughwear

Grant said:
It's not an A-1, period. Anyone that knows anything about vintage clothing knows that style jacket was popular in the 20's and 30's.

All this is true, but I wonder when exactly this jacket was made? It is an interesting jacket and the ring snaps might help to date it.

A

Anonymous

I disagree there is just not enough definative information regarding the type A-1 ,so to say it is not an A-1 is very bold .I do however respect you opinion on the subject but my gut feeling tells me it is a real one .Deeb we need you !.

All the best Jeff

Vcruiser

Well I agree..it is definately not an A-1. It is in a similar style as many '30s jackets that favor an A-1...but an A-1 just doesn't have some of the features that this jacket has.
Van

bseal

Anybody notice the inside pockets? Might this be a reversible jacket?

"Deeb we need you !." Correction, he needs us. :p

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
DUBOWA2 said:
... my gut feeling tells me it is a real one .Deeb we need you !.

That's very kind, Jeff. :D

.... but no, it's not an A-1. I didn't post because Miles had already summed it up perfectly.

A very old leather jacket, but in that condition I wouldn't think of any great value.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou Deeb I now stand corrected ,end of story .

Rgds Jeff

oose

Hi,

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

I take it from that, he got a offer and excepted it, anyone here?

yours stu

yankee air pirate

I ended it because I got a $1500 offer from well known collector/dealer out of Seattle. I paid $10 for it 8 years ago so it was a deal. This jacket I found out is pre 30's. Some of the snaps are marked Carr Fast Co Boston. Which was the trade name of United-Carr prior to a merger in 1929. So this helps date this to at least the late 20's. As for who or what this was used for is anyones guess. I got very little info from the "family" of the original owner. I really really wish I didn't have to sell this, but when your out of work and more bills than money is coming in you need to make sacrifices. Unless someone wants a size 44 prewar dubow that needs all the stitching redone for about this amount I would keep the "A1". Which I really doubt.

Members online

Latest posts