• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 Jacket Patches / Lafayette Escadrille

a2jacketpatches

New Patch for the New Year. I've been wanting to offer some options for the A-1 Flight jacket for quite some time so we're starting off the new year with this one.

a2jacketpatches

Thanks fellas, it didn't last the day and sold about an hour after I posted it. Think it may be a good choice to offer some others like the Bumble Bee Steve posted. It looks to be chenille but multi-piece felt was common back in those days so not out of the question. Any idea as to the Squadron designation?

ButteMT61

Yeah, the "bee" looks like something from a letterman' jacket. Neat stuff. Love to see more A-1 jackets this year...

ties70

a2jacketpatches said:
New Patch for the New Year. I've been wanting to offer some options for the A-1 Flight jacket for quite some time so we're starting off the new year with this one.

Great patch and terrific sewing skills! I wish I could do someting like this.

I wouldn't be able to war someting like this in Germany, though: the Swastika would offend too many people and delight the wrong ones these days...

Ties

CBI

I did a paint job for someone once with this insignia and just painted a cross instead of the swastika.

These are many super cool WWI insignia that would look great with layered leather, not all American.

a2jacketpatches

Can't wait to show you guys the felt version. many a patch were made in multi-layered wool felt during and after WW1 in France and in the U.S. for the Air Service, infantry, and so on. The vets would have them done post war for parades and reunions. I even found a few completed and parts for the 32nd Division ( Arrow ) about 20 years ago in an old sewing box at an estate sale. A perfectly legitimate method that was most certainly used widely. Even if you can't find an example who's to say it wasn't done. I've never been a stickler to being completely accurate or duplicating only known examples. I'm more along the lines of using the methods but employing my skills and artistic license.