• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 G-1 Mouton?

watchmanjimg

I've owned a '69 Martin Lane G-1 with a mouton collar so that's no issue, but mine was the rust color as well. All you have to do is separate the pile and you'll either see skin or a synthetic backing material underneath. Let us know.

Atticus

delta102uk said:
Just took delivery of this 69 G-1...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
I asumed the dark collar was synthetic but it appears to be real mouton?... I had another 69 Martin Lane a while back and the collar was a very nice rust colour...??...

Sean K
Looking at the photos, it looks to be synthetic as opposed to "fir". As you know, 1969 was the year that mouton was abandoned in favor of dynal, so it could be either...depending on the contract. Maybe David could help.

AF

watchmanjimg

That was my thinking, Geoff, but all he has to do is inspect it closely and it will be obvious whether it's mouton or Dynel.

delta102uk

watchmanjimg said:
That was my thinking, Geoff, but all he has to do is inspect it closely and it will be obvious whether it's mouton or Dynel.

.....definitely mouton, took this photo in natural light, you can see the collar is just starting to fade at the edges...

martylanecollar.jpg

Sean K

Curahee

Another test is to pull out one hair and burn it, if it smells like BBQ'ed dog your fine, if not and it smells like your hairdryer caught fire it's probably dynel

Marv

I have a 1968 Martin Lane co contact G1 and it has the rust coloured mouton collar so maybe as mentioned that in 69 it changed to synthetic.

delta102uk

Marv said:
I have a 1968 Martin Lane co contact G1 and it has the rust coloured mouton collar so maybe as mentioned that in 69 it changed to synthetic.

....it's real mouton....but I've never seen it this dark on a model D G-1....

001-1.jpg

sixties.nut

Delta, your jacket is identical to the one issued to me in 1972 but not just me. Every jacket I saw looked the same right down the line. And you got it for the paltry sum of 62 dollars. You hit the jacket lottery on this one. Congrats. :mrgreen:

Atticus

delta102uk said:
Marv said:
....it's real mouton....but I've never seen it this dark on a model D G-1....
I've always heard that exposure to UV light caused the dark mouton collars on G-1s to lighten to amber or honey color. Maybe your jacket was never exposed to much light.

AF