• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Alpha L-2B restoration

Peter Graham

A while back I posted pics of a 64 Alpha L-2B that I picked up from ebay. It's a rare contract fitted with Crown zippers that I'd been searching for for years. The shell of the jacket is in fine condition but the knits were beyond repair. I eventually got round to ordering a full set of knits from MASH and got the fine Lithuanian seamstress that I use to fit them. I got it back today. Here's the results.

Before

MASH package their items very attractively

The end result. Quite an improvement. A totally wearable and rare L-2B.

Atticus

That is some killer nylon, Pete! Your project was clearly a success. BTW, not very many guys can pull off the L-2b and jeans look...but you're damn sure rockin' that jacket.

And...I've gotta ask...what's all that grey stuff growing out of your chin? Have I really been away from the forum that long? :D

AF

Rutger

Good looking jacket, the sleeves are the perfect length: allowing movement withouth creeping up, no serious tunneling either.
L2B is a perfect spring/summer jacket.

Peter Graham

Atticus said:
And...I've gotta ask...what's all that grey stuff growing out of your chin? Have I really been away from the forum that long? :D

AF

Thanks for the positive feedback chaps. I'm really pleased with it. You're right Geoff. What was I thinking ? I'm quite old enough without making myself look even older. It comes off tomorrow !

Atticus

Peter Graham said:
You're right Geoff. What was I thinking ? I'm quite old enough without making myself look even older. It comes off tomorrow !
No, no! I wasn't saying it made you look old or that you need to shave it off. My hair and 'stash are as grey as can be...but that's just the way they'll stay. No razor or Grecian Formula for me. I would urge you to go with the grey, too. There's not a thing wrong with looking like you've got some life experience under your belt. I just didn't remember seeing your beard before yesterday and it took me aback for a second.

AF

MikeyB-17

I've had a similar beard for quite a while now. Back along I fancied a change and shaved it off-that didn't last long, found I didn't feel right without it. Grey or not, it stays! Your Lithuanian lady did a hell of a job with those knits Peter, they look fantastic. Sadly I can't wear L-2B's, I've had a few, all too short on me.

Peter Graham

MikeyB-17 said:
I've had a similar beard for quite a while now. Back along I fancied a change and shaved it off-that didn't last long, found I didn't feel right without it. Grey or not, it stays! Your Lithuanian lady did a hell of a job with those knits Peter, they look fantastic. Sadly I can't wear L-2B's, I've had a few, all too short on me.

The beard is staying, after all. I trimmed it but didn't have the heart to get rid of it completely. That's the fourth L-2B I've owned and it's the longest. About an inch longer than my Blue Anchor. That and the fact that I'm vertically challenged means that it's a great wearer for me.

Phantomfixer

Peter,

Sorry to chime in after the fact,,,Diggin the L-2B. Great shape, even before the resto. The cuffs knocked it out of the park as it were. IMO the most comfortable of all the flight jackets for moderate temps...so killer of a jacket....
John