• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63rd TAC FTR SQ

dujardin

received today
probably Korean era, can someone confirm that era ?????????

PICT0004-5.jpg

thanks in advance
marcel

Weasel_Loader

A little confused on what Jim spoke about, but prior to mid 1970s, they were a Fighter Interceptor Squadron. It wasn't until mid 70s that they became a Tactical Fighter Squadron. I believe they were at McDill AFB in Florida until around mid 90s when they went to Luke AFB. I joined the 63rd just after they switched to 63rd Fighter Squadron. We had the cleanest jets on the flightline since we had the Wing Commanders jet in our squadron. The turkey feathers on the tailpipe of the motor were actually chromed as were the gun port and all the gauges in the cockpit!!! :roll:

Your patch looks to be mid to late 70s era but no newer than early 80s. I could be wrong though as I'm not well versed in this field. ;)

watchmanjimg

Sorry for any confusion, Danny. I've edited my earlier post to reflect the complete unit name history if that makes any difference. What I meant was they started calling the unit the 63rd TFS in 1975. Therefore, there's no way the patch dates before 1975. I know the color scheme of the patch changed at some point but in any case this is not a Korean War-era patch.