• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

55J14 Korean War VMO-6 patched fligh jacket

bazelot

I just bought a great Korean war grouping with a very nice patched 55j14. VMO-6 saw a lot of action in Korea, a lot of pilots were killed doing rescue missions.
There is what the seller says about the pilot's service:
"His name was James Lewis Bixler and his home address was North Main Street in Kenton Ohio
His military experience was with the Marine Air Group Squadron 26.
He was listed as performing all of these tasks for the Squadron 26
Provost Marshal
Ordnance Officer
Maintenance and Utilities Officer
Building and Ground Officer
Fire Marshal
Personnel Officer
Squadron Adjutant
and Personal Affairs Officer
They listed him as a Fixed Wing pilot with 1210 hours
and also a Helicopter pilot with 461 hours.
Again all of this experience was listed with Marine Air Base Squadron 26"

I haven't received the grouping yet. If anyone has any extra information on VMO-6 or the pilot that would be greatly appreciated

galvestonokie

you can find the squadron history of Marine Observation Squadron 6 thru google. i was a member of the squadron during all of 1969. At that time, the squadron was part of Marine Aircraft Group 39, stationed at Ai Tu air base, Quang Tri, Vietnam. The squadron spent most of its time supporting the 3d Marine Division.
Interestingly, most naval aviation squadrons fly one type aircraft. I believe that, both during Korea, and for sure during Vietnam, the "Cherry Six" was a composite squadron, flying both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft. in Vietnam, the squadron flew UH-1E Huey gunships, OV-10A Bronco observation planes, and the USMC's remaining inventory of O-1C observation planes. The O-1s were left over from the Korean War.
In September/October of 1969, the squadron was moved from Quang Tri to MC Air Facility, Futenma, Okinawa via USS Cleveland. The squadron was decommisioned a few years later, and remains decommissioned.
Cherry 6 had a reputation for being the northernmost (closest to the DMZ), end of the supply line, and perhaps a bit unruly by USMC standards. Quang Tri was far from III MAF HQ in DaNang. When i checked in, squadron personnel, both officer and enlisted, looked more like Terry and the Pirates than the USMC i was used to. saw a number of exotic weapons carried by flight crews, including sawed-off shotguns, a .44 mag pistol, Swedish K guns, M-1 carbines, grease guns, and of course .45 M1911 pistols and M-16 rifles. When i was issued the M-16, i had never seen one before, having trained with the M-14. I asked the armorer how to clean and fire it, he said go ask someone. all but you dumb-assed new guys already know.
Bob

bazelot

Thanks for the info Bob. It looks like he was no longer in Korea in 69 . It looks like he only spent time there during the Korean war. He might have stayed longer though, I am still researching him.

galvestonokie

Just a couple more comments on this great grouping. This man was certainly gone before i joined VMO-6 in 1969. While the jacket is very nice, i find the patches to be remarkable. i have never seen that particular version of the VMO-6 squadron patch. it does illustrate the squadron's multiple roles at that time--observation, medical evacuation, etc.

The bullion 1st Marine Aircraft Wing (diamond-shaped) with 1, is very cool. the other interesting patch is the one with the middle finger raised (blue background, red hand) illustrates many Marines feelings toward Korea. this one is actually a modified version of the 1st Marine Division's patch. and the blood chit on the back of the jacket, never seen one quite like that.

in your photo with the ribbons (second one up from the bottom) you have the Major's ribbons upside down. the row with only 2 ribbons should be up. not sure what all the ribbons are but see multiple Air Medals, presidential unit citation and service ribbons for WWII and Korea.

cool stuff! bob

littlebuddy

Whoaaaaaaaaa!! im really getting in to this G1 thing !! seriously considering a total change of direction from USAAF gear to these !!!

STEVE S.

had a g-1 from the mid/late 60's that was patched similar with that VMO-6 patch & 1st MAW shoulder patch.

bazelot

I have a conundrum. The middle finger Korea patch that came with the grouping was once sewn to the left sleeve. THe shadow stitching is there and I had not seen it before. In your opinion should I restitch it or leave it as is?

a2jacketpatches

Put it on there. Line it all up, liner shell, and patch every few stitches with white thread. This will keep the patch in place while you stitch every hole with your finish thread then remove the white. Know what I mean?

bazelot

Thanks guys. I will put it back. I wonder why it was removed in the first place. It was probably not politically correct to walk around with a middle finger patch on your jacket :)