• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

398th BS - WIP

Yardstick

Had a few hours free this afternoon, so knocked out a 'fake' silk-screen on canvas version of the 398th Bomb Squadron patch. I say fake because I use a brush rather than a silk-screening press. My technique is to use heavily watered-down paints on damp canvas and then replicate the colour overlap/underlap that is characteristic of the multi-pass silk-screening process. This one will be finished with the buff cotton bias tape edging that is seen on many of these US produced canvas patches. My version - top, original reference image - below.

Image5.jpg

398th BS_21st BG.jpg

Yardstick

Thanks for the nice comments :). Here's another ersatz silk-screened on canvas patch. This is one of three designs for the 452nd Bomb Squadron, a 9th AAF B-26 medium bomb squadron. Of the three designs, two were apparently adopted, while the third was the original rejected design - which oddly also seems to have been made into an embroidered patch. This is the 2nd official version - another Disney design.

Image6.jpg

452nd BS_322nd BG (Type II).jpg

Last edited:

Yardstick

Very impressed by this technic and your skill with it!
Thanks Vera.

I stumbled across it by accident. Prior to that, I had painted a number of canvas patches that were sealed with gesso primer and with these the paint just sits on the sealed surface. However, I noticed that there were some patches where the paint seemed to have soaked into the raw canvas i.e. these silk-screened ones. After I attempted to paint on un-sealed canvas, I quickly found I had to water down the paint massively - too thick and the paint goes on like glue and too thin and it starts to soak sideways into the fabric. Get it right and you can replicate the silk screen effect. However, there is v. little room for error as the thinned-down paint is very translucent and I have to sketch out the design faintly to avoid it showing through. Then it's a case of doing a single pass for each colour, replicating the overlaps and gaps typical in the originals and doing it all in one sitting, as once the paint dries the next coat won't soak in.

Last edited: