• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

374th Fighter Squadron Patch

a2jacketpatches

Posting this for a guy on USMF, looks 50's to me and the wings that came with it are post WW2 as well. Any thoughts, insight on this unit?

unclegrumpy

I am not sure I want to chime in on this one after the Navy one last week. :shock:

Anyway, under the plastic it is a bit hard to see, but this one looks 1950's or 1960's rather than WWII. The WWII versions of this patch I have seen have all been on leather, but that does not mean there could not have been an embroidered version too. This design went on after the war, and this could easily be from the 1950's or later. It could be an reunion piece too….I just don't know on this one.

The boys that collect the 1950's/60's USAF patches would know. There is an excellent web site dedicated to this era….I'll see if I can find a link….below might be the site I am thinking of, but I believe there might be another as well...

http://www.ericsusafpatches.nl/intercep ... 61_200.htm

*** As an fyi, sometimes the tabs were separate pieces early on.

a2jacketpatches

My thoughts exactly. Here's a couple more photos. Appears to be just like that Navy patch in construction and can't find any WW2 period photos of an embroidered version. I'm still not convinced the Navy patch was WW2 and the same with this one. This one was found with post WW2 Air Force Wings as well. The owner is looking for potential value of this piece and I think that's hard to say but my common knowledge of patches tells me this is post WW2.

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
The owner is looking for potential value of this piece and I think that's hard to say but my common knowledge of patches tells me this is post WW2.
Man, that first photo is bright!

One x factor to consider is some of these 1950's era USAF squadron patches go for as much or more than WW II patches….especially some of the FIS units like this. I have always found it interesting that a US made patch from a 1950's stateside Guard unit could be worth more than a wartime combat unit that saw a lot of action….but they can be.

As far as this patch I agree with you, but don't know enough to say exactly how old it is or how desirable it might be in the pecking order of variations, but I would think it is a good eBay candidate.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I also commented on this patch on the USMF and said there I believe it 's a 50's-60's era , the cheesecloth backing looks like the latter type , where as the older WW2 type had an looser yellowed looking cheesecloth and usually they were on a 'felt" type made patch not the twill type of his patch ......................................
Johnny