• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

greyhound52

Re: FIRST L-2B ?

I posted this in the ebay section. Great Lakes did produce the B-15B. I thought it was a strange label as well. Also thought the incorporation of many aspects of the L-2 (lining and button color) strange as well. It is an odd bird so could it be the first L-2B I don't know.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

greyhound52 said:
It is an odd bird so could it be the first L-2B I don't know.

I believe it ... everything looks right, and the contract appears to date from 1953.

greyhound52

David,
Does the 7448A contract date from 53 or 54? I have seen documents in one of the Japanese flight jacket books but can't remember the exact date.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

greyhound52 said:
David,
Does the 7448A contract date from 53 or 54? I have seen documents in one of the Japanese flight jacket books but can't remember the exact date.

George ... Full Gear lists the Blue Anchor contract as fiscal year 1955, so no earlier than mid-1954.

watchmanjimg

Is the Great Lakes L-2B contract even mentioned in Full Gear? I'm curious as this text appears to be widely regarded as authoritative, yet for me at least this jacket came from left field. Has anyone out there heard of this one? I understand Great Lakes made B-15s, but this L-2B is news to me. Check out the early numerical sizing, which is the only reason I won't bid as it's too small for me. :(

Peter Graham

Guys, I wonder who that jacket will fit ? :D . Seriously though, I won't be bidding. I've already got two L-2B's. How many does a man need ? Don't answer that question ! :?

watchmanjimg

Hi Peter! I'm not sure how many you need (I just counted my L-2bs and the total is 13), but I think you'd do well to add this one to your collection. However, it's likely to sell high due to its rarity. I'm tempted to contact the seller to see if he's interested in a local deal, but this one is too small for me and the B-15D Modified might just fit. Either way he'll probably expect a fortune.

greyhound52

Peter Graham said:
Guys, I wonder who that jacket will fit ? :D . Seriously though, I won't be bidding. I've already got two L-2B's. How many does a man need ? Don't answer that question ! :?

Lets see between my L-2, L-2A, and L-2Bs I have eight. :D

watchmanjimg

You know what I always say, George. If you ever get tired of the L2, L-2A, et cetera, et cetera . . . :lol:

greyhound52

Tamoko,
Thanks I think this answers the question on dating this L-2B. Yes I think it would go for a high price.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

watchmanjimg said:
Is the Great Lakes L-2B contract even mentioned in Full Gear? I'm curious as this text appears to be widely regarded as authoritative, yet for me at least this jacket came from left field.

Jim, no ... just the earlier B-15B contract. The author doesn't claim that it's complete ...

I have been compiling thousand of contract/order numbers that were seen on the labels of the each item actually. I guess the coverage of my compiled data would be over 95%.

Weasel_Loader

This is a new one on me too. No telling how high this jacket will reach. Amazing jacket and looks to have a lot of history behind it. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Well the B-15D (MOD) made US $442.11 ...

And the L-2B, US $1,041.00.

Great jackets. :D