• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

34th Bomber Sqn - Doolittle Raiders

a2jacketpatches

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Thanks for posting the photo of the image I mentioned from ranger95 site , I think that one is a fairly close rendering of the early version, at least on leather , I also think the Hornet worn patch of the 34th was a sewn type .
Johnny
The one from the Ranger site is modeled after the original and may or may not be a period patch. The other large photo on the pebble grain leather is just another one of many home made post war patches / versions in my opinion, probably done on pocketbook leather or something. This patch is a dime a dozen from what I see because of unit popularity, anyone with enough interest and a paint set has another variant. I wouldn't put much faith in the Ranger one either, but at least it's based on the original. The following photo is the patch I based my initial guess on but can't really guarantee it's legit either, however, I'd put my money on it if I had to choose. Next photo is the only one I think anybody can vouch for, most likely cotton embroidered wool.
Doolittlepatch_zpsabdff093.jpg

doolittle_zpse8fcd606.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Perfect, I was thinking it had an embroidered ring on the perimeter but is just the stitching of the patch to the jacket, creating a different shade. Thanks for digging that up, it proves otherwise. Here's another photo of crew #1 on the Hornet, nice high res photo I was able to close in on the patch.
Crew2009_zpsfcec71b4.jpg

A

Anonymous

shedonwanna said:
You do a great job on your patches, I had an Air Apaches of yours about 6 years ago, it looked as if it were done on a machine, dead on perfect.

shedonwanna

91stbombgroup said:
You do a great job on your patches, I had an Air Apaches of yours about 6 years ago, it looked as if it were done on a machine, dead on perfect.
Thanks, plenty of great talent here at VLJ. I joined VLJ back when we were on Yahoo. A VLJ member had one of my patches and suggested I come over and check out the forum. Placed a few patches with other VLJ members over the years and hope I've contributed some to the discussions.

airapache_zpsaf43551c.jpg

345tbg_zpsf3cc8178.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

shedonwanna said:
91stbombgroup said:
Thanks, plenty of great talent here at VLJ. I joined VLJ back when we were on Yahoo. A VLJ member had one of my patches and suggested I come over and check out the forum. Placed a few patches with other VLJ members over the years and hope I've contributed some to the discussions.

airapache_zpsaf43551c.jpg

345tbg_zpsf3cc8178.jpg
Who did the two green background "Apache" patches for you ???????????
Johnny

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Who did the two green background "Apache" patches for you ???????????
Johnny
I painted all of them. Not necessarily "official" colors but painted by request. I've been painting for 40 years as dlmiller.

a2jacketpatches

Wife has really been a big help these days. I've been teaching her the ropes for a couple of years now and she helped expedite this design for fleet16b while I'm catching up on some overdue orders.

This one is available in Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
and on a seal brown disk. We have several others in GW russet goat as well and all she has to do is stitch them up, 99- for VLJ guys
100_2413_zpsa70fb2e4.jpg

fleet16b

Sean
OUTSTANDING !!! You and your Wife are real artists
This patch is more than I could have ever expected and never imagined you would make it so quickly
Can't wait until mine arrives

Thank you very much

unclegrumpy

Wow, that really looks great!

As a follow up, I could never find a photo of the layered leather original, so it must have been something that I saw in person, and filed in my feeble brain.

The following is not in any way a critique, nor based on a past memory, but if you do some future versions, it would neat to see a mock up where the white is flipped to the suede side out.

fleet16b

Well
My 34th Sqn Thunderbirds arrived from Seam today
All I can say is that I am extremely happy with the patch
Workmanship is outstanding in every way. He was even able to match the russet color of my jacket
A fitting tribute to the Doolittle Raiders since they have announced that this year will be the end of their public appearances .
I will wear this patch with pride and thank fullness for the service of those brave crews