• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

325th bomber squadron patch

stephen210

I got this back around 1990 at a militaria show in KS. The guys I purchased it from had a small collection of patches and others aviation stuff.
I purchased it with the understanding it was a real period piece.

Has anyone seen a patch the was painted on a piece of leather like this?

11360324ceba3595c139041118b5af52_zps2eed56b4.jpg

2f62235921652721880131e6f6bce430_zps389d703d.jpg

a2jacketpatches

I know some were painted on a soft lambskin, but that looks like stiff veg tanned. Also, the stitch holes and cracking look a bit odd to me. Can't say for sure without actually touching the piece, but I probably wouldn't even ask to pull out of the case and keep walking. Just doesn't look right. Also wondering why it's red underneath.

stephen210

Guess he? Has been doing these for some time. Don't get me wrong. I love this patch for the art. But wish it was what I thought it was but that was a long time ago I got it. Is this person still making patches?

unclegrumpy

I agree it is a fake.

Not that it matters, but It might not be a fake from the same guy that did CBI's bunch. There were some others that looked much like this one that came out of Mexico in the late 1970's or early 1980's....and some from England in the 1990's as well.

CBI

some of the patches in my pic above have that orange undercoat/material when cracked.................???

a2jacketpatches

unclegrumpy said:
I agree it is a fake.

Not that it matters, but It might not be a fake from the same guy that did CBI's bunch. There were some others that looked much like this one that came out of Mexico in the late 1970's or early 1980's....and some from England in the 1990's as well.

That's about when I stopped painting patches, it seemed like patch painters came out of the woodwork all of a sudden in the 90's. And I can hardly tell the difference unless it's a guy from here or currently on Ebay. Here you get to know a guys artistic style and it's like recognizing a signature or something. But these random patches that pop up now and then seem like just another guy with some two dollar paint pens.

some of the patches in my pic above have that orange undercoat/material when cracked.................???
If anything like me back in the day, probably a cheap hide he picked up somewhere that lasted a while. I can almost remember where and when every scrap came from when sifting through my tiny pieces. I'll bet this orange hide is a waxy or high gloss finish the way the paint flakes off. A guy with the abilities evident in these patches wouldn't use this as a primer intentionally, I wouldn't think.