• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

26 year Flight Gear collection on eBay

USMC_GAU-21

Forum Mates,

I have been away from the forum for a few years. Which life is what life is. That also means that I have listed my entire collection on eBay. I know a lot of you don't like eBay, but I thought that would be the place to sell it.

I can always end it if there are forum mates that would like to put it in their personal collections. I spent most of my adult collecting this flight gear, and it is a sad day, but life forces this issue.

This is a great forum, and the advice and knowledge here is beyond belief.

If interested please check out the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232294785593?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

r/Gunny Dan

daw

Amazing treasure trove. Best of luck with the sale. Must be hard to part with such a collection.

Smithy

Bloody hell, that's an incredible amount. I hope the sale goes well - it sure should do! But sorry to hear that it's something you had to do.

Silver Surfer

holicannaloni! enough gear to to stock a vintage militaria store. best of luck with the sale, and if for nothing else, it will be interesting to see the results. back up the truck, jack.

johnwayne

Crikey that's collecting at its extreme! Sorry you have to let it go - getting so heavily into collecting whatever is something I've often questioned as to where/when you stop, I guess it's an obsession but hope your sale goes well for you.

Technonut2112

Strange... When I click the above auction link, I am directed to "VigLink Shopping", with another link there to "Skip these deals & continue to Walmart"... Other eBay links elsewhere work fine. I know that I can just use the auction # to find it at eBay, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

EDIT: I just checked, and here is the direct link I copied from the eBay sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Fl...785593?hash=item3615d92239:g:ORIAAOSwAANY5oEs

And the much different link I copied from the OP's post above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232294785593?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited:

Bombing IP

YES I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM it appears to be a virus attached to VLJ . Not exactly sure how I did , but somewhere on the page you can opt out of using VigLink Shopping . It like a program that highjacks where you really want to go . Its a PIA I wish I could hack into there system and send there info of to infinity .

BIP

ausreenactor

Strange... When I click the above auction link, I am directed to "VigLink Shopping", with another link there to "Skip these deals & continue to Walmart"... Other eBay links elsewhere work fine. I know that I can just use the auction # to find it at eBay, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

EDIT: I just checked, and here is the direct link I copied from the eBay sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Fl...785593?hash=item3615d92239:g:ORIAAOSwAANY5oEs

And the much different link I copied from the OP's post above:

Both links take me to Vigilink..... Vert de ferk?

dmar836

Not your fault. It says the host site has allowed it. I doubt that but it has apparently hijacked links.
Makes me wonder who is dense enough to get taken in and start ordering things from a spam link. Stupid form of advertising IMO.
Dave

USMC_GAU-21

Forum Mates,
Been an interesting week of questions from bidders out there. However, I think I found a home for the collection. Military Museum in Savannah GA. "Webb Military Museum", run by Gary Webb. As some of you know and I have corresponded with you on PMs etc.. I always wanted to open a Military Flight Gear museum in a big hangar at an old airfield, but life got in the way. So, seeing this go to that venue would be awesome. As an oh by the way, my favorite piece is the G-1 my crewchief instructor gave me for the collection when he retired from the Corp.
G-1_dave_front.JPG
G-1_dave_back.JPG

johnwayne

That's great to hear your collection is finding a good home, must be quite satisfying for you personally!
Cheers
Wayne

Bombing IP

G-1_dave_front.JPG

I have often wondered how they sew the patches on the sleeves and the pockets on G1's ,are they sewn on by hand ?.

BIP

USMC_GAU-21

BIP,
Our para-riggers (flight gear marines) in the Corps used long arm sewing machines to sew our patches on. Plus when we were in Okinawa, we could always find a tailor shop that would accommodate the sleeves for us. Today we are no longer allowed to wear the leather G-1 on active duty in a flying capacity. It does not meet the safety standards set by NAVAIRSYSCOM for organizational flight clothing. The only active command that can issue the G-1 is HMX-1 Presidential Support at MCAF Quantico VA. When wearing the jacket on active duty with the Marine Class "Charlie" uniform, khaki shirt, dark green serge trousers, you can only have on the jacket: Black Leather Name Tag, Current Command authorized patch, US Flag insignia with yellow boarder.

Active duty Navy -- they can wear it with flighsuit, with their Khaki service uniforms, and there is the same restrictions on the patches, but......the Navy aircrews, pilots patch up their jackets with out much trouble. Probably more than what you wanted to know..LOL ;)

Bombing IP

Thanks ,great answer with an insight on who what where when . This is how you learn and I thank you for it .

BIP