• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23rd Fighter Group A-2 - Curent Fair Value

JDAM

I have been made an offer on the jacket below and am considering selling. I wonder if members might estimate what they consider to be its current 'fair value'? It is all original and well worn, size 42, in good shape and without damage. It has no history or provenance. Many thanks!

DSCN9272.jpg

Roughwear

Very nice Aero! A few more pics would be helpful in determining the current market value. Do you think the patch original to the jacket?

TankBuster

If it is not attributed to a 23rd pilot.....A nice original aero size 42 is in the 850-1,300 range. The money is in the patch. If original, (which it appears to be from the picture shown) the 23rd patch could fetch $1,500-$2,500. I know the patch price I gave is a big range, but I have seen original 23rd patches sell for both of those and in between over the years.

These numbers are of course my opinion, but the best way to value a jacket (assuming it isn't named) is by the sum of its parts. Better photos would also help to determine the authenticity of the patch and true condition of the jacket.

If it is attributed to a 23rd pilot, that would add to the value of course. A named 23rd A-2 jacket sold for $12,500 on eBay a couple years ago. I sold one for 11K about 5 years back.

JDAM

TankBuster said:
If it is not attributed to a 23rd pilot.....A nice original aero size 42 is in the 850-1,300 range. The money is in the patch. If original, (which it appears to be from the picture shown) the 23rd patch could fetch $1,500-$2,500.

Many thanks, that's pretty much what I'm being offered - 4k. Cheers.

TankBuster

No problem. All things considered, that is a pretty good offer. I would take it. Best of luck with the sale.

Stony

If it is not attributed to a 23rd pilot.....A nice original aero size 42 is in the 850-1,300 range. The money is in the patch. If original, (which it appears to be from the picture shown) the 23rd patch could fetch $1,500-$2,500. I know the patch price I gave is a big range, but I have seen original 23rd patches sell for both of those and in between over the years.

These numbers are of course my opinion, but the best way to value a jacket (assuming it isn't named) is by the sum of its parts. Better photos would also help to determine the authenticity of the patch and true condition of the jacket.

If it is attributed to a 23rd pilot, that would add to the value of course. A named 23rd A-2 jacket sold for $12,500 on eBay a couple years ago. I sold one for 11K about 5 years back.

Are you saying that the 23rd patch could fetch between $1,500-2,500? That patch is worth maybe $200-300 by itself. On the jacket, I would say $1,500 tops. (but that's just my opinion) ;)

JDAM

Stony said:
Are you saying that the 23rd patch could fetch between $1,500-2,500? That patch is worth maybe $200-300 by itself. On the jacket, I would say $1,500 tops. (but that's just my opinion) ;)

Fine me one or ten at $200-300 a piece and I'll buy them all from you. ;)

Roughwear

JDAM said:
Stony said:

That adds up to a lot of FINES then! :lol:

Stony

Fine me one or ten at $200-300 a piece and I'll buy them all from you.

As I have become a very patient buyer over the 40+ years I've been collecting/buying militaria, I will find one for that price. However, it's not in my forte, so I won't be looking for one anytime soon.

JDAM

Roughwear said:
JDAM said:
Stony said:

That adds up to a lot of FINES then! :lol:

Chortle. Jack Dee would be proud of that one. Absolutely rapier!

TankBuster

Stony said:

Hey Stony,

I haven't ever seen one sell publicly for even remotely close to that low of a price. I guess if a guy is lucky enough to find one at a estate sale or in a similar odd setting, it would be possible. The last one that I know of to hit the market brought $1,950 last year, and in a down economy. They aren't a very easy patch to find.