• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23rd FG

A

Anonymous

Stellar isn't it. Another contribution to human evolution. Remember to pick up some chocolate covered macaroons on the way home.

A

Anonymous

Don't like them or I would. Do not understand your attitude, I was making a point about CBI patches being mostly composite, but with exceptions. You get all bent, whats with you?

A

Anonymous

MarkP40 said:
Don't like them or I would. Do not understand your attitude, I was making a point about CBI patches being mostly composite, but with exceptions. You get all bent, whats with you?

Okaaayy, I've got 30 secs free to reply ...

The thread started as a means of querying the authenticity of a 23rd FG patch. The general consensus was that the tooled patch was bad.

In your post you somehow doubted that, or at least raised the possibility that it might be genuine. Fine.

I asked for some provenance and you responded with a long list of numbers or letters referencing pics in a book. Unfortunatley, none of them address the issue of the validity of the tooled 23rd patch. Fine, but this is useless information, really.

Then you go on to post numerous messages suggesting you feel picked on, or my attitude is bad and something about sensitivity.

Please calm down. I am not here to upset you. The Macaroon message was directed at Mr. Archer, not you, so no need to get worried about that.

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:
Andrew,
I think you're thinking of the AVG. This patch is that of the 23rd fighter group. Succesors to the actual Flying Tigers. The 23rd flew until the end of the war. The time frame is OK. The patch itself is not.

AVGs as in 1938, right?

TankBuster

Yes, correct. This patch is not that of the AVG. It's the 23rd Fighter Group. Some AVG members still flew with the 23rd, but it is not the same thing. ;)

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
MarkP40 said:

Okaaayy, I've got 30 secs free to reply ...

The thread started as a means of querying the authenticity of a 23rd FG patch. The general consensus was that the tooled patch was bad.

In your post you somehow doubted that, or at least raised the possibility that it might be genuine. Fine.

I asked for some provenance and you responded with a long list of numbers or letters referencing pics in a book. Unfortunatley, none of them address the issue of the validity of the tooled 23rd patch. Fine, but this is useless information, really.

Then you go on to post numerous messages suggesting you feel picked on, or my attitude is bad and something about sensitivity.

Please calm down. I am not here to upset you. The Macaroon message was directed at Mr. Archer, not you, so no need to get worried about that.
Looks fake to me, looks 15th air force, the jacket and the CBI look real.

A

Anonymous

shanghai joe said:
TankBuster said:
Andrew,
I think you're thinking of the AVG. This patch is that of the 23rd fighter group. Succesors to the actual Flying Tigers. The 23rd flew until the end of the war. The time frame is OK. The patch itself is not.

AVGs as in 1938, right?
The AVG 1, 2, AND 3 were under discussion with Roosevelt in 1938 but AVG 1 (fighters and pilots were approved later) and did not start in China until 1940. Read a great book called preemptive strike buy Alan Armstrong.

A

Anonymous

Chennault took over the Chinese Air Force on 09 Jul 37.

On 15 Apr 41, President Roosevelt gave an unpublished Executive Order allowing men from the Army Air Corps, Naval & Marine air services to resign so they could join the new American Volunteer Group (AVG) in China.

The A.V.G. was born in Sept 1941, and began working with the Chinese against the Japanese.

At midnight on July 4, 1942, the AVG ceased to exist. They were replaced by the China Air Task Force (CATF) and later the 14th Airforce.

14th_chart-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The unfortunate thing was the way the Pilots were treated by the military, not that many stuck around after July, some extended for a short period to help Claire out.

TankBuster

Did the 23rd fighter group get taken in to one of the other wings, or did they cease to exist after march of 43? I thought they continued throughout the war.

Off subject, I've got a great patched A-2 jacket grouping from a P-40 pilot from the 16th Fighter Squadron. Nice pics of early P-40's with the sharks teeth, Chenault awarding the squadron DFC's, ect....can post pics if anyone is interested ;)

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:
Did the 23rd fighter group get taken in to one of the other wings, or did they cease to exist after march of 43? I thought they continued throughout the war.

Off subject, I've got a great patched A-2 jacket grouping from a P-40 pilot from the 16th Fighter Squadron. Nice pics of early P-40's with the sharks teeth, Chenault awarding the squadron DFC's, ect....can post pics if anyone is interested ;)

23rd was folded into 68th Composite Wing on Mar 10 43 and operated in that capacity til Dec 45.

Yep, always like to see pics of jackets!

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:

please you teaser...........pix pix pix........pant pant pant