• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Alpha L-2B with Crown zippers

Peter Graham

Today I received what for me is the holy grail of orange lined L-2B's. A 1964 Alpha with Crown zippers. I missed one on ebay about four years ago and I've been searching ever since. In 1964 Alpha must have had a deal going with Crown/C&C to supply zippers for their flight jackets. There appears to have been a very small contract for N-2B's, an equally small L-2B contract and a large MA-1 contract and this jacket completes my collection. To the best of my knowledge there was no Alpha/Crown contract for N-3B's.

PB155499600x800.jpg

PB155505600x8002.jpg

PB155510600x800.jpg

PB155511800x600.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how many variations of zipper slider and puller Crown/C&C use and the type on this L-2B is new to me. The zipper itself is the small tooth type used on arm pockets but the slider and puller are quite unique to this contract, I think.

Here's the other two 64 Crown zippered Alpha's

MA-1 named to a Captain Dick Eustace of the 22nd Fighter Squadron, Bittburg, Germany, mid to late 60's.

PB155509600x800.jpg

PB155507600x800.jpg

The Crown zippered 64 Alpha N-2B.

P9045412600x8002600x800.jpg

1964 was the last year that L-2B's had epps and pocket flaps. Here's my 65 Alpha and all that remains is the tab covering the bottom of the zipper, purpose unknown ? After that L-2B's lost their character a bit but I love collecting them.

PB155508600x800.jpg

watchmanjimg

Nice score, Peter! Those jackets look great and you did an especially nice job patching that '65. I also note what appears to be a CWC GS quartz wristwatch on a NATO strap in the first pic.

oose

Looks fantastic Peter great fit on you, I'm glad to see it arrived safely. I have to say I love that MA-1! Does this mean your all crowned up, what next? you might have to start on those blue era jackets for your next crown fix! :D

All the best
stu

dmar836

Great jackets! So to show my ignorance of nylon, what is the relationship of the waist flap/snap with the L-2A vs the L-2B? Any rational reason they flowed over to only some of the Bs?

Dave

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
Great jackets! So to show my ignorance of nylon, what is the relationship of the waist flap/snap with the L-2A vs the L-2B? Any rational reason they flowed over to only some of the Bs?

Dave

Without specific documentation as to the underlying reasons we can only speculate, but clearly practical necessity and manufacturing ease and/or cost were factors. While the epaulets were gone for good after 1965, the pocket flaps which were eliminated during that same era returned pursuant to 1970 contracts--even on the MA-1 series jackets which never previously had them--and remained through each successive modification.

Peter Graham

oose said:
Does this mean your all crowned up, what next? you might have to start on those blue era jackets for your next crown fix! :D
Oddly Stu, I've never been keen on the blue jackets but maybe some day I'll dip my toe in the blue water if I find a bargain but they are always fairly pricey, aren't they ?