• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Cagleco G1

767fo

I just recieved this jacket from a collector that was still in the original box. Other than one very small spot on the sleeve that has some peeling of the top layer the jacket is mint. I have only measured the pits and they came out to 25.0. I still cannot believe I paid this much for the jacket but I was dying to know what condition it would be in and if it would fit. The fit is about as good as it can get for me. The hide is thick in some spots and thin and very grainy in others. John Chapmans new seal goatskin is almost identical in color. The jacket is a little darker than it shows in the photos. On a side note the paper label shown below was in the right pocket. I hope you enjoy the pics, Allen
BoxLabel08.jpg

OpenBoxCollar.jpg

Folded.jpg

FoldedOpen.jpg

SeperateLabel-1.jpg

Flatfront.jpg

FlatBack.jpg

FlatOpen.jpg

Collar.jpg

LeftCollar.jpg

USN-1.jpg

PocketLabel-1.jpg

Label.jpg

Insidepocket.jpg

OpenInsidePocket.jpg

Conmar.jpg

CollarLatch.jpg

Front1.jpg

jack aranda

Wait! Weren't you just here showing us pics of your new GW Ventura??? :eek: Man, that is both very cool and really harsh. :p That is an amazing score! Thanks for the pics. Now, I have to go mop the drool off my chin. ;)

767fo

jack aranda said:
Wait! Weren't you just here showing us pics of your new GW Ventura??? :eek: Man, that is both very cool and really harsh. :p That is an amazing score! Thanks for the pics. Now, I have to go mop the drool off my chin. ;)

Yes Jack that was me. The Ventura had been in the works for quite some time. But very much worth the wait. This jacket was a little spur of the moment and probably a stupid risk. But it worked out well and I have to say it was one hell of a rush opening that box :eek:

watchmanjimg

Allen, you can't do better than that! Did you get this one from Stuart Clurman? His website shows an identical jacket for sale. If this is the same jacket I know you paid a ton, but there's no way to improve on it regardless of price. In the end all that really matters is your satisfaction, and the jacket looks great on you. Congrats!

767fo

watchmanjimg said:
Allen, you can't do better than that! Did you get this one from Stuart Clurman? His website shows an identical jacket for sale. If this is the same jacket I know you paid a ton, but there's no way to improve on it regardless of price. In the end all that really matters is your satisfaction, and the jacket looks great on you. Congrats!

Yes, I did buy it from Stuart. He bought two of these and opened one to check to contents then re-sealed it. He said it was this ones twin. I am pretty sure he will sell the other one.

Weasel_Loader

Nice job! I wonder how many more "in the box and mint" examples are out there? Thanks for posting and sharing the experience. ;)

Andrew

I don't think it's an outrageous amount considering what it is. Looks fantastic and I'm wondering is it as per the other thread and sized smaller than tagged?

bobbyball

Great jacket!

I bought a size 46 Cagleco about four years ago and this is in pretty much unworn condition but not in its box. I think mine is an earlier contract (around 1954/55) and they are really great quality jackets.

When I got mine it still had some white 'spots' as guides to where the pockets and buttons attached and the zipper had been hardly used. One thing I notice is that the waist knit is very tight which presumably loosened up/expanded with wear. Cagleco are a very fine example of the 1950s g-1 before the late 60s/early 70s contracts became compromised in quality and started using synthetic fur as well as inferior goatskin. From what I can work out, the quality overall began to dive after mid 1960s.

I also have a 1957 Foster which is in mint condition – the goatskin on both Foster and Cagleco is very high quality – not too thick but also not flimsy and both exhibit fantastic grain. IMO it is hard to choose between them but I think the Cagleco just takes my preference.

Enjoy the jacket !

Bobbyball

767fo

Andrew said:
I don't think it's an outrageous amount considering what it is. Looks fantastic and I'm wondering is it as per the other thread and sized smaller than tagged?

Thank you all for the very kind comments. I finally took the measurements and I am surprised it is this large.

1957 Cagleco Measurements

Pit to pit- 25.0
Front length- 23.25
Sleeves- 26.5
Shoulders- 19.0
Back length- 26.5
Back width under the arms- 24.25