1937 white skin B-3

Discussion in 'eBay / Auction Talk' started by Roughwear, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

ButteMT61 likes this.
  2. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

3. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Not for me, but i am sure that it will find a home.

4. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

good luck Andrew if you decide to try and get it

5. Roughwear

I would not have flagged it up here if I was serious about this jacket John! I hope finds a discerning owner.

6. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

That's in good nick for its age. I wouldn't be seen outside the house in one that colour myself. Much prefer the later weatherproofed versions. What was that buckle on the left chest for again?

7. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

Oh come on Andrew, place a bid, your collection just would not be the same without it!!!!!

8. Roughwear

What and be seen wearing it down the high street!LOL

9. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

I don't think that question has ever been answered conclusively.

10. Roughwear

I have yet to see any pictures of the extra buckle being used. The collar on the B-3 has two buckles and straps and when they are secured the collar is a tight fit over the chin. Attaching the lower strap to the lower buckle and the upper strap to the chest buckle still keeps the collar up right but increases its size sufficiently for a USAAC pre-War oxygen mask to be accommodated.

11. mr_lits

mr_lits Member

Hadn't thought of that as a purpose but it makes good sense.

12. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Great zipper!

13. Roughwear

It sold cheap at $1526!

14. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Member

Regarding the chest buckle - take a look at the picture in this old thread: http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/camp-skeel-mich-december-1940.7355/

It looks like man #4 has the bottom collar strap through the chest buckle. Perhaps this is to keep the strap from flapping around; I can't recall if there is a strap keeper under the collar for the bottom strap (like there is on the later B-3 versions).

Noel

15. Roughwear

Thanks for the link to this picture Noel. These early jacket did not have collar snaps so the extra buckle would keep the right hand collar down when the upper strap was used and increase the size of the collar when fix in an upright position with the lower strap used through the chest buckle to enable a mic and an early large oxygen mask to be worn inside the collar. BTW there were still two buckles on the collar.

16. MikeyB-17

Seems a funny angle to sew it at-wonder why they didn't angle it to the right more, rather than straight upwards?

17. Roughwear

I agree Mike about the positioning of the breast buckle.

This picture was posted on VLJ some years back but the link has been removed. It shows US Army Air Forces pilot Lieutenant Gilbert L. Meyers in winter flying gear, photographed by Rudy Arnold, 1941. The B-3 looks like the 1937 model from the Ebay auction which is heading my way.

[​IMG]

18. MikeyB-17

So it did find a discerning owner then! Way to go!

Roughwear likes this.
  19. Roughwear

Hahaha Mike! I'm not sure about that. I have never handled one of these early B-3s and did not expect to win it.

20. MikeyB-17

Well you said yourself it could go for two grand plus. You did well! There can't be many like that still around, especially in that condition. Eagerly awaiting pics and your impressions.

Roughwear likes this.