• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1933 IRVIN IN MINT CONDITION!

jonnyboy

Fantastic jacket Andrew!

Now, if I could just borrow it for a while to unpick and make a pattern from... ;)

Seriously, I think it's the best condition original I've seen - congratulations.

Cheers,

Jon

bobbyball

I saw this jacket when Andrew picked it up and it comes from an impeccable source (who I have known for some years). The jacket really is stunning and the fleece feels velvety and 'new'. The previous owner had never worn it in the rain and I doubt it had any more than a half dozen outings. It still has its cutter tags!

It could not have gone to a more appreciative and knowledgeable collector.

better duck

Congratulations Andrew, I can see how pleased you are with this one. The non plus ultra of original Irvins has come in your possesion. You deserve it!!

Marrk

A truly remarkable find! What a beautiful jacket!

Will you wear it or just keep it as an item in your collection?

Roughwear

BTW the A.C. on the Label is only part of the complete stamp. The letter "I" did not print on the label probably because the stamp was not applied to the jacket with sufficient pressure on a flat surface. I.A.C. = Irvin Air Chute!

The two labels from my 1933 jackets show the complete stamp and the partially applied one.
024-1.jpg

009-4.jpg

Jason

A truly amazing jacket, congratulations on your find Andrew. All the superlatives & pictures in the world wouldn't do it justice, I'm sure - but thanks for trying anyway... we're not one little bit jealous. :lol:

Roughwear

It is unclear precisely why the "g" was added to the name of the firm and is thought to have been a mistake! The jacket's inventor was Leslie Irvin.The spelling with a "g" was used from the 1920s onwards on all their literature. I am fully aware of the correct spelling but because of the name for the jacket and trousers-"Irvinsuit" have ommitted the "g". Perhaps I should use it from now on to be 100% accurate?

RCSignals

Roughwear said:
It is unclear precisely why the "g" was added to the name of the firm and is thought to have been a mistake! The jacket's inventor was Leslie Irvin.The spelling with a "g" was used from the 1920s onwards on all their literature. I am fully aware of the correct spelling but because of the name for the jacket and trousers-"Irvinsuit" have ommitted the "g". Perhaps I should use it from now on to be 100% accurate?

It was just an observation. I knew Irvin was the name of the inventor, and always thought IAC was a related company, using Irvin not Irving. I never noticed the Irving before. Irvin is a good Scottish name (even though Leslie Irvin was apparently an American), and of course Irving is just a variation spelling of the same name. Perhaps you are correct adding the g was a mistake, maybe in registering the company and they didn't want to pay another fee to correct it ;) . It's obvious they did use 'Irvin' for the 'suits', and the jackets are commonly referred to as Irvin. You'd confuse everyone calling it Irving :lol:

plaidlining

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
Thanks Soren and Rich. It is a once in a life time find. No Ebay this time, just the collector network! ;) The previous owner wore it a few times since he bought it in 2000 and people thought it was an Eastman! :lol:
Funny it does look like and Eastman.....
If you decide to sell can I have first dibs please ?

John, I used to own this jacket and it looked even more like a brand new Eastman back then than it does now! I can see that the guy I sold it to in 1999 must have worn it a couple of times.

I bought it from Buck Taylor's son back in 1991 and when I opened the box I was quite simply stunned by what came out. It really did look like a brand new, unworn, top quality repro. Back then I was a full time Aeronautica dealer and during the 1980s and 90s I handled literally hundreds of Irvins but I never saw another like this, and haven't done since, and doubt if I ever will again (though rumour has it that Hendon has some unworn factory fresh examples in cold storage).

I never wore it myself (too big anyway). The downside in owning it was a certain sense of great responsibility......almost a relief it's not mine to worry about anymore!

Roughwear

Thanks for this Paul. I have the letter from Buck Taylor which accompanied the jacket when you bought it from his son in law in January 1991. I know John, who bought it from you wore the jacket a few times. I have also worn it very little as it is a unique survivor from 1933, the year after the IAC patent was applied for. The original finish to the skin is all in tact and there is no wear to the cuffs, hem, collar or windflap. It really demonstrates what a nearly new Irvin would have looked like in the early '30s.

plaidlining

.....and it's a wonderful letter too, isn't it - very informative and beautifully handwritten. I always meant to frame it to display with the jacket.

I bought the book myself (Aeroplane Affair).

Having sold off most of my collection over the last decade I now seem to have been bitten by the Irvin bug again.....it's obviously a terrible affliction for which there is no permanent cure!

saunders

Having seen many RAF "Irvin(g)" jackets before, and some that were 9.5 out of 10 perfect points, you now own the finest example I've ever seen, Paul! Well done, and thanks for sharing.

If I understand your commentary correctly, you are saying that the numerals 33 after the IAC maker stamp indicate the year of production? That's really something to think it survived so brilliantly after all these many years and considering how few would have been made in the early 1930s, too.

I'd say that's an easy 3 grand for such a gem, possibly more; you'll replace the money before you ever replace the jacket.

Saunders

Roughwear

saunders said:
Having seen many RAF "Irvin(g)" jackets before, and some that were 9.5 out of 10 perfect points, you now own the finest example I've ever seen, Paul! Well done, and thanks for sharing.

If I understand your commentary correctly, you are saying that the numerals 33 after the IAC maker stamp indicate the year of production? That's really something to think it survived so brilliantly after all these many years and considering how few would have been made in the early 1930s, too.

I'd say that's an easy 3 grand for such a gem, possibly more; you'll replace the money before you ever replace the jacket.

Saunders

Several years ago I bought a seal brown early Irvin on Ebay. It was made by IAC and had the number 33 on the label. It was also a four panel jacket. Despite the sceptism of several people who falsely believed the Irvin jacket was first made in 1938 I was convinced it was an early jacket from 1933.

This near mint jacket which has had four known owners, Buck, his son in law, Paul and John and came into my possession at the end of the summer and is likely to be an earlier production model than my other 1933 jacket as it does not have the eyelets for the elastic strap. It is one of the finest Irvins that I have ever owned and the finest in my current collection as the pictures of my other jackets in Vintage show.

Lebensgefahr

I did wonder when you posted pictures of the jacket if it was John`s but i thought it couldn`t be as i didn`t think that he would ever sell it.I remember Paul selling it and seeing it when John got it.
I have to say i`m very surprised he did sell it.

All you need now is my early one and that should pretty well cover all the bases Irvin wise! :lol:

LG