• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

12 O'Clock High (movie)

DJS48

Anyone have an id what A-2 Maj. Cobb is wearing? Perhaps a Cable or No-name 27753?

Cheers,
Don

deand

These might help the identification:

Corbis-U18410OP.jpg

twelve-oclock-high-1.jpg

dean

ausreenactor

Has to be a Good Wear repro...and the two punters sitting out of focus in the background are wearing ELCs...

:lol:

Great movie, and I have lamented letting a repro of the Porcelain Mug go by on eBay many years ago. Love the
scene where the B-17 ramping out has the crewman in the nose acknowledging the camera. Certainly one of the
stand out AAF flicks..

Couchy

better duck

Gregory Peck is not wearing an issue A2. That is something that becomes obvious when you see the movie more detailed photos.

unclegrumpy

I can't remember which actors and jackets, but several also have a back seem across the shoulder blades....probably off that rack from Western Costume! :eek:

GoodTimesGone

12 O'Clock High is the best WWII Air Corps movie in my opinion. I just watched the 1944 release Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo last night. It doesn't come close but it's still worth owning for the period footage. By the way, I'm not a stitch-counting perfectionist, but every single aircrew member has a horizontal seam across the back of his a-2. I'm just speculating that since the war was not over, the military could not spare jackets and the wardrobe department bought a lot of civilian ones.
-Tom

RCSignals

unclegrumpy said:
I can't remember which actors and jackets, but several also have a back seem across the shoulder blades....probably off that rack from Western Costume! :eek:

Oh no, Western Costumes has all the originals they bought out the AAF in '43 or so, the the remaining later remember. :lol:

unclegrumpy

RCSignals said:
Oh no, Western Costumes has all the originals they bought out the AAF in '43 or so:lol:
Yes, but those jackets are still locked in their top secret temperature controlled storage vault, protected by a regiment of armed guards, tunneled 387 feet below the HOLLYWOOD sign! Rumor has it that the current owners would like to sell a few jackets to select elite collectors to recoup some of the storage costs, but the old fellow who last knew the combination to the vault door has retired....so the wait continues :lol:

Peter Graham

Off the subject of A-2's, there's a B-15 in one scene, which is not correct for 1942. But that's nit picking. It's a fantastic movie.

regius

Gregory Peck's jacket is a "private purchase" jacket, could be an Irvin Foster civilian jacket, horsehide for sure, typical high back low front, large collar.

Phantomfixer

GoodTimesGone said:
12 O'Clock High is the best WWII Air Corps movie in my opinion. I just watched the 1944 release Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo last night. It doesn't come close but it's still worth owning for the period footage. By the way, I'm not a stitch-counting perfectionist, but every single aircrew member has a horizontal seam across the back of his a-2. I'm just speculating that since the war was not over, the military could not spare jackets and the wardrobe department bought a lot of civilian ones.
-Tom

and lets not forget about Fighter Squadron.....some nice originals in this movie????....made in 1947 if I recall...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a0Ji8gTAFHo[/video]